How do I delete unwanted fiels from the old back ups

Reaction score
I have a MyBook External Harddrive by Western Digital I do believe. I am using in on my new mac book pro to use as the TimeMachine backup device. A lot of files have been backed up that I do not want on it. How do I delete them from the old back ups? I need a lot of help with this is making me very angry!!!! Please Help!!!

Also this is what the error says: "The operation can't be completed because backup be modified"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Sorry I'm not too sure about your error... I know I had a url for how you can do that but I lost it, I am looking for it tho as I need the same info. I'm not sure if it was within this 'Switchers Hangout' part or if it was on the net I found it. You could try in the meantime, doing a search for 'Time Machine' in and you may find your answer.

Good luck! I'll post it if I find it

I have a MyBook External Harddrive by Western Digital I do believe. I am using in on my new mac book pro to use as the TimeMachine backup device. A lot of files have been backed up that I do not want on it. How do I delete them from the old back ups? I need a lot of help with this is making me very angry!!!! Please Help!!!

Also this is what the error says: "The operation can't be completed because backup be modified"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a MyBook External Harddrive by Western Digital I do believe. I am using in on my new mac book pro to use as the TimeMachine backup device. A lot of files have been backed up that I do not want on it. How do I delete them from the old back ups? I need a lot of help with this is making me very angry!!!! Please Help!!! Also this is what the error says: "The operation can't be completed because backup be modified"

You could just delete the entire old backups and start over but this time exclude those files you don't want from being backed up. Time Machine allows file exclusions. As far as removing unwanted files from the previous backups you made, I don't believe you can do that. The error you received is telling you that you can't modify the backups you already made.

It would be easier to just start over as I said above. Or, if you really need the backups you previously made, live with the unwanted files.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.