RPMs of Seagate Backup Plus for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, OS X 10.9, 2.3 GHz, 8GB RAM
I'm trying to find out the RPMs for my Seagate Backup Plus for Mac 1TB Portable Drive.

An image of the exact drive is attached.

seagate backup plus.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have you tried doing an internet search for "Seagate Backup Plus for Mac 1TB rpm's"?

I found the answer pretty quickly!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I did try that. I tried again, and I found it this time! Thanks pigoo3! I like your dog pic. :D

The answer is 5400 RPMs, found here: Amazon.com: Seagate Backup Plus 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (Black)(STBU1000100): Computers & Accessories

Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

Amazing that if you simply plug in your question into a Google search (or whatever 'search engine' is in vogue for you) that a hit will usually give you the answer - ;)

NOW, the more important question is 'why' did you need to know that information? Are you having an issue? Dave :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Rad Dave!

Hey RadDave,

I am indeed having a problem. Maybe you or someone else can help.

The problem is that my Macbook Pro gets wayyyy too hot when I run Pro Tools 11. Like way hotter than when I do anything else on my Macbook Pro.

Questions:
(1) Are SSDs faster than 7200 RPMs HDDs?
(2) Would a 7200 RPM external HDD streaming audio files keep a Macbook Pro running Pro Tools 11 cooler than if a 5200 RPM model were used?
(3) Would an SSD external drive streaming audio files keep a Macbook Pro running Pro Tools 11 cooler than if a 7200 RPM external HDD were used?

Elaboration:
Right now I stream my audio files from a 5200 RPM external HDD. My guess is that I can cool the Macbook Pro down if I use an external disk that runs at 7200 RPMs or greater. Better yet, maybe I should use an SSD external? I've read that they are fast and will soon make HDDs extinct.

This question assumes that I've optimized my Macbook Pro in every other way for running Pro Tools. Of course, other suggestions for cooling her down are welcome.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did try that. I tried again, and I found it this time! Thanks pigoo3! I like your dog pic. :D

The answer is 5400 RPMs, found here: Amazon.com: Seagate Backup Plus 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (Black)(STBU1000100): Computers & Accessories

Glad you found it!:)

I like to answer the hard questions (the ones that can't be found with internet searches).:) The easy questions can many times be answered via Google. Which in many cases can provide an answer much faster than a forum question.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An SSD is faster than a spinning hard drive. And no, a 7200 RPM drive does not run cooler than a 5400 RPM drive. If anything, they run a bit warmer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem is that my Macbook Pro gets wayyyy too hot when I run Pro Tools 11. Like way hotter than when I do anything else on my Macbook Pro.

We need to know what you mean by "wayyyy hot"…like exact temp. info. I'm willing to guess (based on my experience)…that yes…the computer may be wayyyy hot. But it's not going to be too hot to be a problem…or outside of norms in general.

Right now I stream my audio files from a 5200 RPM external HDD. My guess is that I can cool the Macbook Pro down if I use an external disk that runs at 7200 RPMs or greater. Better yet, maybe I should use an SSD external?

Nope…not going to make a difference. The heat is coming from the cpu or graphics hardware. And this is due to the fact that some apps need more computing power…and this greater computing power demand simply means more heat.

The only other possibilities could be a malfunctioning fan (rare)…or a dirty computer (fuzz/dirt) inside (not overly common).

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, a 7200 RPM drive does not run cooler than a 5400 RPM drive. If anything, they run a bit warmer.

Thanks for replying chscag. Question #2 asks whether a 7200 RPM drive keeps the computer cooler than a 5400 RPM drive, not whether a 7200 itself "run cooler" than a 5400. Not sure if by runs cooler you mean makes the computer run cooler or runs cooler itself. The response is a bit ambiguous =].O:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Question #2 asks whether a 7200 RPM drive keeps the computer cooler than a 5400 RPM drive, not whether a 7200 itself "run cooler" than a 5400.

Doesn't make a difference. Especially since it's an external drive. And even if was an internal drive…it would only make a very slight difference (hardly any impact overall).

It's sort of like wondering if an elephant stepped on a scale to get his weight. Then 10 flies landed on his butt…then wondering if these 10 flies would make a difference in the elephant's weight!;)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We need to know what you mean by "wayyyy hot"…like exact temp. info.

Pigoo I don't know how to measure the exact temperature of the computer, but it's so hot it would hurt the average person's hand to touch it. But not a burn. Just a slightly uncomfortable feeling on the hand.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pigoo I don't know how to measure the exact temperature of the computer, but it's so hot it would hurt the average person's hand to touch it. But not a burn. Just a slightly uncomfortable feeling on the hand.

Download & install an app like "Temp Monitor" or iStat:

Temperature Monitor: Download

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20364/istat-pro

Yes it does get very hot. When I'm gaming on my MacBook Pro (and the computer is on my lap)…my legs get very red & I eventually have to put the MacBook Pro on a table.

So again…based on my experience…I'm going to proactively say your computer temps are within norms when a computer is working harder than normal. But not so hot to be a problem.

Install the app…and let us know. Then we can see if we are looking at something unusual.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay thanks, Nick. I'm going to give it a whirl and see what her temp is.O:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... and see what her temp is.O:)

Nice…a female computer.:) We don't run into those too often!;)lol

I don't know what gender my computers are!;)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine is a girl :Blushing: She's my sweetheart.

I'm running Pro Tools now, and it's actually not getting that hot. Last time I had my wifi connection running at the same time, but no applications open. I guess it made all the difference just to shut down the wifi. But at least I made the mistake of thinking it wasn't the wifi; we got to have this great discussion about RPMs and SSDs right?

I guess this is what you get when you reply to the n00b questions :Blushing:. If it gets really hot again, I'll post the temps here, and you can tell me if you think that's unusual, Nick. Thank you for the help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it gets really hot again, I'll post the temps here, and you can tell me if you think that's unusual, Nick. Thank you for the help.

Good deal. We will be here.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Broadly speaking, when a computer gets very warm under load, this is an indication that it is *working correctly* and discharging the heat buildup. For some reason, people just refuse to believe that Apple actually considered this in the design of the computer. Always boggles my mind a little.

If the computer was actually *overheating,* it would shut down to protect the processor. If that's not happening, it's not overheating.

When the computer seems to be working far harder than it should to handle what's going on (Pro Tools = pretty demanding application), it's usually down to three issues:

1. The computer is underpowered for what you're trying to accomplish. Fix: buy a more powerful computer.

2. Computer is having to write to disk way more than it should. Solution: buy more RAM.

3. Computer is not efficiently discharging heat and must work harder than it otherwise would. Solution: clean out the dust from the fans and ventilation systems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.