numpty beed help

Reaction score
hi all, like most new people im looking for some advice so thanks in advance to any helpers.

As a computer illiterate moron who can basically surf the web and do some crappy office stuff, the only thing I really use it for is Sibelius and Protools but I really wanna switch to a Mac as im fed up with the usual PC problems and Microsoft/windows in general (plus windows 8 looks awful).

So Im looking at the new iMac 27'' due out in Dec, Ive used Macs in the past so im fairly familiar with the basics but im wondering about the pros/cons of an iMac or is the Macbook pro any better ?

cheers all

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ive used Macs in the past so im fairly familiar with the basics but im wondering about the pros/cons of an iMac or is the Macbook pro any better ?

So many folks ask this very question…and for the life of me…I'm not sure why??:Confused: I wish someone would explain it!;)

An iMac is a desktop computer…and a MacBook Pro is a laptop computer. These are totally different "animals" when it comes to portability/mobility.

- If you NEED portability…then get the MacBook Pro.
- If you don't need portability…then get the iMac.
- If you're not sure if you need portability…and you want to play it safe…then get a MacBook Pro.

From a budgetary perspective. Comparing laptop and desktop computers of equal processing power…laptops have always been more expensive. Therefore…if the portability of a laptop computer is NOT what you need…then you will always get more "bang for your buck" when purchasing a desktop computer (iMac in this case).:)

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some of us just aren't cut out for computers, as a Pro musician and tutor I get asked the same pointless questions all the time.

I truly understand what you mean…I really do!:) It's the difference in knowledge and experience between an expert and a novice. What the expert thinks is a "no-brainer" the novice thinks is "rocket science"!;)

But the difference between a laptop and a desktop computer is very very obvious. A 27" iMac computer…is very large…kind of heavy…and certainly not very portable. A MacBook Pro laptop computer is much smaller...pretty light-weight…and very very portable.

I would not expect someone or everyone to understand all of the technical specifications going on inside of the computer (iMac vs. MacBook Pro)…but someone purchasing a new computer should be able to decide if they need a small portable laptop computer…or a large display (not portable) desktop computer (based on their lifestyle or workstyle needs).:)

It's kind of like deciding on a rainy day (when someone has to walk a mile to work)…should I or should I not use an umbrella?? The obvious answer is (if someone doesn't want to arrive at work soaking wet)…yes…I probably should use an umbrella.;)

- Nick

p.s. And no…driving the car to work…riding the bus, subway…or taking a taxi does not count! ;)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
ha ha, im swing towards the iMac for the use of watching movies and the large screen is very nice. I dont need the portability of a laptop, but performance wise they seem to be similar i think? I just look at the numbers and see which is higher. I was thinking more for future upgrades but would a processor and memory of these sizes need upgrading at a future point?? For the cost I'd like to think it would last a good few years, hopefully at least 5-6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
ha ha, im swing towards the iMac for the use of watching movies and the large screen is very nice. I dont need the portability of a laptop, but performance wise they seem to be similar i think? I just look at the numbers and see which is higher. I was thinking more for future upgrades but would a processor and memory of these sizes need upgrading at a future point?? For the cost I'd like to think it would last a good few years, hopefully at least 5-6

I am as computer literate as you are- I switched to a laptop 3 years ago(PC) just to save space. My problem is to repair a laptop is a B#$%h( need new sound card and keyboard) I decided on an all in one and due to space a 20-21" screen . I was going to get a Samsung or Sony and looked at the IMAC( just 200.00 difference) I am getting the new IMAC coming out next month because I needed to save up the $$- Very excited - I will be ready to place my order as soon as they are available- The apple quality is what sold me- I think I used the potability of my laptop baybe twice in 3 years

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yes…the 27" display of the iMac is awesome!:) But if you really like a BIG display AND needed the portability of a laptop…you could always plug a large external display into the laptop when working at a desk or table (home or work).

Performance-wise…there's almost always a comparable desktop & laptop with the same performance (or very close). But in almost all cases…the laptop will be more expensive than a comparable performance desktop. So there's no need to spend additional $$$ for a laptop you don't need.

As far as upgrades. The processor is generally not upgradeable. Ram and storage (hard drive space) is upgradeable on the 27" iMac. As far as getting 5-6 years out of it. This is always hard to predict. It depends on the demands you put on the computer. As computer programs and OS versions get more complex…and as the computer gets older (not current hardware)…the computer will "seem" slower. But if you never upgrade the OS…and never upgrade any applications…then the computer should be as fast as the day it was purchased. But things hardly stand still…the internet for one…will always be advancing.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
If you don't need the laptop and are leaning towards the iMac - then the iMac is for you. The iMac outperforms the MBP - I have both - but don't make your decision based on "upgradeability" - neither really qualify. These days - upgrades mean a new computer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Don't discount the Mac Mini either. It's not the fastest computer in the world, but for modest needs, it's actually quite robust. Then you can purchase any monitor that suits your fancy. And it sure is easier to service should there be a problem down the road.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.