MacBook to purchase, info needed

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I need info about the most affordable MacBook. In between jobs ...

If you're talking new...go to Apple.com and take a look.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
MacBook, affordable- to purchase-info-needed-

Nick, thank you. I was hoping for a recommendation ... Because I will looking for a used MacBook, and I wanted to know what I should be looking for. T

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Same answer, only this time go to the Apple Refurbished Store and browse around. Only you can decide what fits your budget and needs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, thank you. I was hoping for a recommendation ... Because I will looking for a used MacBook, and I wanted to know what I should be looking for. T

If you were looking for a used computer...you should have stated that in your original post.:)

What is your max. budget?

Technically (to answer your original question...since used is ok). The most affordable "MacBook" would be from about 2006...and would basically be something you would not be entirely happy with. So "most affordable" is not always the best way to go.;)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Nick, you are right. I should have mentioned that initially. My budget? Unfortunately, less than a $1,000, without the bells and whistles. Thanks for the help. T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, you are right. I should have mentioned that initially. My budget? Unfortunately, less than a $1,000, without the bells and whistles. Thanks for the help. T

$1000 really isn't THAT bad of a budget!;) Member "lclev" mentioned some great options.

Buying something used is also a possibility.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have purchased used off of EBay with excellent results. I will say I will spend a lot of time doing my homework. I look for their return policy, number of sales, reputation, location (US only), and prefer free shipping. I will watch several auctions of the item that I am looking for to make price comparisons. I prefer "buy now". I have been known to bid to the last second but I always set my top price and never go over it. I always use paypal to pay for that add level of protection.

My last purchase was my Macbook Air 2013. It came with 2 years 6 months of apple care still on it. For what I need it has been excellent. I saved considerably over new or refurbished but you need to know your prices. On eBay I have seen things sell for more than what a new or refurb from Apple would cost.

Just some options.

Lisa

OP
W
Reaction score
WOW. Can't tell you how much I appreciate you all taking the time to respond, and give me some great tracks to run on. Very encouraged. Thanks! T

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are welcome. Good luck with the purchase.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
Hi,

You might want to think about what exactly you are looking for in your computer: form factor? battery life? expected usage?

There are a lot of different kinds of Macs, new and used, that $1000 can buy. Perhaps all you need is the current Mac Air 11.6'' You can buy that new in its stock configuration and have money left over. Perhaps you want to hunt for an older rMPB. It is certainly possible to find that for $1000 USD as well.

Even though Apple only releases a few models every year, there is not a "one size fits all" device. If you are simply looking for a basic machine that you can use to check facebook and browse the Net, you could do worse then buy a Macbook from 2011-2012 and saving yourself a few hundred dollars. Only issue there might be battery life if the machine has been put through its paces.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.