Running iMac off external hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro; 20" iMac
I have a mid-2007 20" iMac, which chugs along quite nicely. I use it mainly for editing still photographs.

However, the 350GB memory is now full.

Is it possible and/or recommended to run the machine permanently off a much bigger external hard drive, which I'm currently using for back-up?

(I have the external drive and I'm loath to spend a great deal of money upgrading what is quite an elderly machine...)

Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
However, the 350GB memory is now full.

Firstly...terminology:

ram = memory
hard drive = storage space

What you are having a problem with is storage space...not "memory".;)

You have two better options to deal with this issue:

1. I'm sure some of that information on your computers internal 350gig hard drive is "stuff" you don't use everyday. Since you already mentioned having a larger external hard drive...move some of the files from your internal 350gig HD...to your larger external HD...then delete those files from the internal HD.

2. Replace your computers internal HD with a larger HD (not that difficult).

Is it possible and/or recommended to run the machine permanently off a much bigger external hard drive, which I'm currently using for back-up?

You can run your computer from a bootable external HD...but it will be slower due to the information traveling thru the much slower USB port.

(I have the external drive and I'm loath to spend a great deal of money upgrading what is quite an elderly machine...)

Upgrading your computers internal HD isn't that difficult...and will only cost you what it costs for a larger replacement HD...if you do this yourself.

DIY instructions can be found at iFixit.com.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro; 20" iMac
Sorted - many thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.