(Older) Macbook Pro Screen not working

Reaction score
I have looked up possible solutions and see a lot of problems with a Nividia problem with MBP models bought between 07-08 (which mine is I believe) but my computer broke just last year and I don't believe it was within the time frame that apple offered. I don't have my computer with me atm and can't check the specs for sure, sorry.

I'm not totally sure about what is wrong with it other than the fact that it works if I plug an external monitor in. Yes I've banged it up a few times but it never had problems after those slight falls. It started with a bit of flickering/lines going up and down the screen and then this:

168700_10150132669386810_554041809_7917345_4298011_n.jpg

Any help? If I were to get it repaired, how much would it cost me?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any help? If I were to get it repaired, how much would it cost me?

Probably close to or more than it's worth...especially if it's a logic board issue.

As far as the Apple repair program for these MacBook Pros with video issues...I believe that the limit was 3 years from the date of purchase. But sometimes the Apple folks will still do things that aren't "by the book".

If your MBP does have the covered "video issue" they may still repair it...got to check with Apple to find out. Of course those "slight falls" could also be causing the issues...sometimes the problems related to falls can show up well after the actual fall.

- Nick

Reaction score
hi I have exactly the same patterns on my screen like that for around 3 weeks. In the first few days I just try to adjust the screen lid by close/open it up until it show the desktop again. However, it completely looks like pointo's screen now. The only way I can use it by pluging to the external screen. Except for the screen, everything work just fine with the external display.
I brought to Apple store and they said it cost £260 to repair (they said they will replace the screen). But this macbook pro bought in Dec 2009 and it's not gonna live long so £260 is not worth it.
Could anyone have any advice for us to repair this issue with minimal cost?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.