Best alternative to Apple to replace logic board?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| MBP 15", Late '13 | 2.0 GHz Intel Core i7 | 8GB, IIP 1536 MB | OS El Capitan 10.11.2 |

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both companies are well known and will likely do a good job. Keep in mind that even if the logic board is replaced because of liquid damage, there could also be other problems that may occur. You might want to consider selling the machine for parts and use the money to buy a new one. Tough decision....

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| MBP 15", Late '13 | 2.0 GHz Intel Core i7 | 8GB, IIP 1536 MB | OS El Capitan 10.11.2 |
it's almost never cost effective to replace the logic board on an older Apple laptop. That repair money is usually much better spent on paying for a new/newer computer.

- Nick

Can you elaborate more on the issue of cost effectiveness? Do they simply not last/never work the same?

I spilled liquid on mine, and the LVDS cable and surrounding areas have been oxidized. However, I can work fine on an external display. Is it worth fixing or just keep up what I'm doing? I miss having a laptop.

Thanks,

Alex

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm familiar with Powerbookmedic. They definitely sell good products...and have great customer service if you (in the rare case) should have problems with something they sell you.

Definitely agree with chscag...the logic board many times is the "main" damaged part...but it's also possible other parts may have been effected as well.

For example the keyboard...since many times the keyboard is the initial place that the liquid is spilt on & the liquid passes thru on its way to coming in contact with the logic board. But there are definitely other parts as well that could be damaged.

Also you should be aware that the approx. value on a 2010 13" MBP is probably under $500 bucks.

So you certainly don't want to spend anywhere close to that value to fix your MBP...when for the same $500 (or close to it)...you could purchase another 100% perfectly operational 2010 13" MBP (or put that $500 towards a newer/new MBP).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum (not a "Switcher Hangout" topic).

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both companies are well known and will likely do a good job. Keep in mind that even if the logic board is replaced because of liquid damage, there could also be other problems that may occur. You might want to consider selling the machine for parts and use the money to buy a new one. Tough decision....

Thanks again, chscag.

I've considered selling it for parts. Can you point me to a good source for going about doing that? I just don't want to jump into it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again, chscag.

I've considered selling it for parts. Can you point me to a good source for going about doing that? I just don't want to jump into it.

I know that you addressed chscag...but I'm already here...so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Guess where you should sell the computer for parts (if you choose to do that)...the #1 place where just about everything is sold...e-Bay!;)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Nick. I will most likely utilize ebay.

I was more concerned about the labor involved before selling, but I suppose that is something that I could just search online.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW...one more thing. You mentioned in the other thread that your MBP works fine with an external monitor. A bit unusual...but it can happen.

It would be good to verify if the liquid damage was the logic board (or another built-in display related part)...but this is basically impossible for the home computer owner to verify without 100% good working parts to do the troubleshooting/parts swapping with.

You could potentially get a replacement logic board...install it...and still have a non-working built-in display...if the logic board really is not the damaged part. Or you could have two damaged parts...the logic board & another part.

This is why liquid damaged computers are so hard to repair for the home user. Without a box full of good (expensive) parts to do parts swapping with...it's hard to know what individual part (or parts) to replace. Even the professionals sometimes have to use a "trial & error" approach to getting a liquid damaged computer working again.

So long story short. If you do most of your computing at a desk...where you could use an external monitor with your MBP...then I guess the external monitor solution could be an acceptable solution. But if you need to use your MBP "on the road" (where there is no external monitor)...then the external monitor solution isn't the 100% answer.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW...one more thing. You mentioned in the other thread that your MBP works fine with an external monitor. A bit unusual...but it can happen.

It would be good to verify if the liquid damage was the logic board (or another built-in display related part)...but this is basically impossible for the home computer owner to verify without 100% good working parts to do the troubleshooting/parts swapping with.

You could potentially get a replacement logic board...install it...and still have a non-working built-in display...if the logic board really is not the damaged part. Or you could have two damaged parts...the logic board & another part.

This is why liquid damaged computers are so hard to repair for the home user. Without a box full of good (expensive) parts to do parts swapping with...it's hard to know what individual part (or parts) to replace. Even the professionals sometimes have to use a "trial & error" approach to getting a liquid damaged computer working again.

So long story short. If you do most of your computing at a desk...where you could use an external monitor with your MBP...then I guess the external monitor solution could be an acceptable solution. But if you need to use your MBP "on the road" (where there is no external monitor)...then the external monitor solution isn't the 100% answer.

- Nick

I took it to a MacMall for a complimentary assessment. The service agent's report said the logic board has been exposed to liquid. Additionally, the LVDS PORT and surrounding areas have been oxidized.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was more concerned about the labor involved before selling, but I suppose that is something that I could just search online.

What sort of labor are you talking about? A "parts computer" can be sold in 1 of 2 ways:

- diassembled individual parts
- as a totally assembled/intact "parts computer"

I'm a little bit confused. If you were initially thinking about getting a replacement logic board (and trying to save a much money as possible)...then who was going to install that replacement logic board??

The only way to save as much money as possible...is to do the install yourself. As soon as you start talking labor cost for someone else to install the logic board...then you might as well forget about it...since the replacement logic board + labor (even if Apple is not doing the install)...will certainly get close to the total current used value of the MBP.

And like I mentioned earlier...it's just financially "smarter" to take all of that money...and spend it on another 100% working 2010 13" MBP...or put it towards a new or newer model MBP.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I took it to a MacMall for a complimentary assessment. The service agent's report said the logic board has been exposed to liquid.

This is just a "generic" statement. Apple laptops have liquid exposure sensors inside of them...and all an experienced person needs to do is open the computer...and see what color the sensors are. Of course if there is obvious oxidation formed on the parts...that's also a clear indication that liquid was spilled on the computer as well.

This "complementary assessment" may not have included an actual diagnostic of the computer...it may have purely been a visual inspection/assessment.

That's why it's a complementary assessment. Complementary assessments can be a "quick & dirty" visual assessment only..which are much less costly (less time). Proper diagnosic assessments take longer...and cost money!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A "complementary assessment" (for liquid damage on an Apple laptop) is sort of like taking your automobile to the repair shop for a flat tire.

You take the automobile to the repair shop...tell the mechanic your car isn't working right...and he does a "complementary assessment". Then he says...

"Yupp...here's the problem...the rear tire is flat!";)

This is how obvious liquid damage is on an Apple laptop computer to an experienced person. As obvious as a flat tire on an automobile.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well said.

Thank you very much for your input and time.

-Alex

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well said.

Thank you very much for your input and time.

You are very welcome!:)

Liquid spilled laptops are not a pleasant situation.:( I'm sure if you read thru the official "laptop spill sticky thread"...you picked up on this "unpleasantness".

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
If you are trying to go under $500 go to your local apple store or give them a call. They had a depot repair option which is hundreds of dollars less and the replace everything that is said to be faulty for one flat rate depending on the model I had a 17" 2008 MBP Logicboard replace for $320 or so about a year ago. At least worth a look, it might be cheaper or around the same price, but they will replace it all for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.