What To Do if you have a stolen computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" BlackMacBook 2.4 Cor2Duo 2gigram 2500gigHD just went back to Leopard till snow gets fixed right
Lets say, the computer you have is a stolen one. You didnt know that when you got it but then found out. You cant just give it back(nor would you since you paid for it) So what do you do? Keep it and just dont ever bring it in or sell it and get one that isnt stolen? How much is a stolen mac that has been cleaned worth? Should you even care its stolen and just rock it for what it is and if something happens to it sell it for parts and get something else? Just a thought.

sorry if this is in the wrong area, dont know where the WHAT IF threads go

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You should return it from the person you stole it from!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If it's stolen and you know it is, then you should report it to the authorities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
According to the law, if it's stolen, then its rightful owner is the one who gets the item back. Your only recourse is with the guy who sold it to you. See if you can get a refund, otherwise you're SOL.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just a thought.

Well...if I was a betting person...I would bet that we are talking more than "Just a thought" or "What if?" in this particular case.;)

As other folks have said...we know what the morally correct thing to do is...and what should be done legally!

By the way...where is "Crapville" located??

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" BlackMacBook 2.4 Cor2Duo 2gigram 2500gigHD just went back to Leopard till snow gets fixed right
Well, some times you dont know and cant help something. Why should one person suffer cuz of another? So if YOU paid good money for something, then found out it was stolen you would just GIVE it right to the cops and say, oh well its just money? I dont know ONE person at all that would do that. And I doubt ANY of you would ither. If you didnt know and its in your hands it's YOUR'S! I just wanted to see what people thought. Now I know. I wonder if you would feel the same if you had something in your hands that someone else said you cant keep it! Sure, no one wants to get sonething stolen, but very few give something stolen back! Doesn't make you a bad person, if it did we would ALL have to leave this land, for it was stolen from the Native-Americans! So THERE!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sure, no one wants to get sonething stolen, but very few give something stolen back! Doesn't make you a bad person, if it did we would ALL have to leave this land, for it was stolen from the Native-Americans! So THERE!

Like "Kash" mentioned...if you know that your laptop is stolen (and you really wanted to do something about it) you should still know who sold it to you...so you could either confront them...or contact the proper authorities!

As far as the Native-Americans comment. That's a totally different topic...and has nothing to do with the stolen laptop in your possession.

By the way...I also saw your other post in the Buy/Sell area wondering what your stolen laptop is worth. So does this mean that now you want to sell this "stolen" laptop...and unload the problem onto someone else??:Confused:

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Buying stolen property can lead to you being in as much trouble as stealing it! If I thought a computer I bought from someone, was stolen from someone else, I would report that person to the police! I don't know about you though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
So if YOU paid good money for something, then found out it was stolen ....If you didnt know and its in your hands it's YOUR'S!
If you didn't know, then there wouldn't be an issue.

If you do know, then it isn't yours... even if you paid for it.
You would be in possession of stolen goods and according to the law would be required to turn them over to the proper authorities.
There really isn't any reason for this to continue, so I'm going to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.