:-( three hours with my MBP and it's already not working

Reaction score
I'm so sad. I went to the apple store nearby today, so excited because I knew I was tired of debating and wanted to check both the MB and MBP out for myself, and then just get the one I liked more. Of course I liked the MBP better, and the genius there was this great guy who really helped me out....helped me spend $2900 as well. I get home, so stoked to start it up. Everything went well until I fired up itunes, to start uploading music on my new ipod touch. It asked me to do an update, so I just figured in the time that the machine had been in storage at the store, there had been some updates. It was like 9 things that had to be updated and installed, took like at least 20 minutes. Granted I have so-so internet connection right now so I didn't think much of it. I played with the ipod in the meantime.

Everything seemed fine, I must have had it on for like 2 hours, just on ichat and surfing on safari, not really even doing much yet. Then someone imed me in ichat, and I go to answer, it says I was disconnected for closing ichat. Well, I didnt, but clicked on the icon in the dock anyway....and this grey screen scrolls over the page and says I need to restart. So I restart, and it get stuck on the blue loading page. I restart again, to the same thing.

:( I'm just so sad and disappointed, I've been saving money up for so long and I've been lusting for a mac for like, 4 years. I'm not even going to mention this to my parents, they're already in sticker shock. The closest apple store is a good half hour from me. I mean I'm going regardless tomorrow to get a new one, its just like...ugh. What a drag. Anyone else have/hear of an experience like this??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
It happens even the PC world, a corrupted software install, why not stuff disc 1 of your restore disc set into it, (should be in a little box inside the laptop box) boot it up holding the C key.....and do an erase and reinstall (new machine as it is) and try a software restore before returning it.....could be all it needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
what happened was called a "kernal panic" (the grey page). one of the updates probably corrupted something, this happened to me the first time i updated leopard. i reinstalled with the discs and everything worked fine (and i have updated to current since)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Personally I would just get a new one.

I seriously doubt the apple geniuses are going to give a new one when it can be fixed by reinstalling the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Yea its just software error. Reinstall using OSX disks.

OP
K
Reaction score
I realize that nothing is perfect, and that it would be a simple enough problem to fix...I'm just disappointed after I spent weeks researching, a half hour driving there each way, hung out in the store for over an hour deciding, and spending the most amount of money I've ever spent on one purchase in my life...I guess I just expected it to work, and work well, right out of the box. I'm not naive, I know if Apple was perfect Steve Jobs could retire and no one would use PC. Its just....this WOULD happen to me.

And while I doubt they'll replace it, I'm going back to the Apple store tomorrow. I probably could fix it myself but thats besides the point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
you aren't even going to try n see if that works?

no matter what platform you use, if you just run n hide at any sign of problems the problem does not lie with the system its with the user. Its a computer stuff happens, crying about it on a forum and never attempting to fix it solves nothing.

OP
K
Reaction score
no, im not going to try and see if it works, because if i get a system that has problems within the first three hours of owning it, i don't want to chance more problems in the future. im sorry, is it too much to ask that a very expensive laptop actually works properly when i get it? i know things happen, i know computers are never perfect, and i know software glitches happen. i do web design for 8 hours a day, believe me, ive experienced it plenty of times. but it should not happen with a brand new computer.

im not running and hiding, im proactively taking steps to make sure things like this don't happen again. obviously in this case, the problem DOES lie in the system not the user...i shouldnt HAVE to fixed a brand new computer. sure, i could if i wanted to, but its the principle of the matter. now if i would have bought this say, 6 months ago, or even 2 months ago, i probably would have tried to restore myself to save the trip. but if something doesnt work in the FIRST 3 HOURS well, im going to head right back up there. and by bringing it back to the store, i can get it fixed...its not like im shutting it under my bed and crying all day. it broke down at 12 am - not much i can do at that time of night- im at work now, and the first chance i get to have a spare 2 hours i will be at the cherry hill mall. i apologize for sharing my experience on a forum when frustrated and disappointed with people (i thought?) would empathize...my parents certainly don't understand what im talking about with macs.

you certainly didn't need to be condescending.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, 512Mb VRAM
Keystone - I have to say I understand your point. If I bought a product from a store, and it broke (in whatever way) after 3 hours, I'd certainly be in the mood to go back and get it fixed/exchanged at the store. If I'd had it even a week or more, I might feel differently, but I can wholeheartedly understand your frustration after such a short period of time. Plus, if it'll take you 2 hours or more to reinstall the OS and download all the updates again, it's a better use of your time to take it back and get a swapsie.

Computers may well be complicated pieces of equipment, but they should still be consumer products, it's just that so many people have gotten used to Windows and its flakiness that they think computers SHOULD be that way, and that they always will be. If you buy an Apple computer, and only use Apple products, updates and programs with it for three hours before it breaks, I'd say by all means take it back and get Apple to sort the problem. The more that happens, the more companies will spend time everything 'just works', regardless of the manufacturer.

But most of all, what I'm saying is that I can understand the heartbreak and frustration of researching something for ages, getting excited about it and dropping serious cash on finally buying it only to find it stops working so quickly. I've had it happen to me, and, to quote Bart Simpson, it both sucks AND blows. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Regardless of what you read, or the Apple marketing, I would ALWAYS advise when there are critical system updates, that you don't multi-task. It will actually recommend you to shut down all other apps, so that's really a warning that browsing, chatting and generally having fun whilst it's updating the OS, is going to invite issues.

Re-install OS X from scratch, install all the applications you're going to use, then click software update and wait for everything to finish. Do it in that order, then enjoy yourself.

I have done numerous updates and installs on my 2006 MacBook, and it's been rock-solid always. I am lucky, but then being from Windows, I never tempt fate when doing updates. Leave it alone, you can do without the machine for the hour or two the 1st updates may take.

Good luck and sorry to hear your woes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
I have purchased 2 new macs in my life.

One of them I have not had a problem with out of the box and even yet.

The other failed and messed up first OS install/update. I reinstalled/updated and everything was great from then on.

Cry to me all you want about my condescending tone but your an annoying spoiled little rich kid. Out of the box or six months from now you should still possibly explore what may of caused the issue (update not taking right or what, these are simple problems), rather than cry with your finger on your tongue asking for more milk.

It's a waste of everyone's time to read your whine when you don't even take some of the advice offered up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
All Macs are alot of money! so they should work, i would not struggle to get it going, you have paid your money, they now have to provide a product that is fit for the purpose that it was sold.
Get it back to them, so they can provide you a product thats works.

Reaction score
I'm so sad. I went to the apple store nearby today, so excited because I knew I was tired of debating and wanted to check both the MB and MBP out for myself, and then just get the one I liked more. Of course I liked the MBP better, and the genius there was this great guy who really helped me out....helped me spend $2900 as well. I get home, so stoked to start it up. Everything went well until I fired up itunes, to start uploading music on my new ipod touch. It asked me to do an update, so I just figured in the time that the machine had been in storage at the store, there had been some updates. It was like 9 things that had to be updated and installed, took like at least 20 minutes. Granted I have so-so internet connection right now so I didn't think much of it. I played with the ipod in the meantime.

Everything seemed fine, I must have had it on for like 2 hours, just on ichat and surfing on safari, not really even doing much yet. Then someone imed me in ichat, and I go to answer, it says I was disconnected for closing ichat. Well, I didnt, but clicked on the icon in the dock anyway....and this grey screen scrolls over the page and says I need to restart. So I restart, and it get stuck on the blue loading page. I restart again, to the same thing.

:( I'm just so sad and disappointed, I've been saving money up for so long and I've been lusting for a mac for like, 4 years. I'm not even going to mention this to my parents, they're already in sticker shock. The closest apple store is a good half hour from me. I mean I'm going regardless tomorrow to get a new one, its just like...ugh. What a drag. Anyone else have/hear of an experience like this??

This is sheerly out of curiousity here but, why did you decide to drop $2900 on a MacBook? Are you planning to use it for hardcore graphic design, maybe some movie editing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
no, im not going to try and see if it works, because if i get a system that has problems within the first three hours of owning it, i don't want to chance more problems in the future. im sorry, is it too much to ask that a very expensive laptop actually works properly when i get it? i know things happen, i know computers are never perfect, and i know software glitches happen. i do web design for 8 hours a day, believe me, ive experienced it plenty of times. but it should not happen with a brand new computer.

im not running and hiding, im proactively taking steps to make sure things like this don't happen again. obviously in this case, the problem DOES lie in the system not the user...i shouldnt HAVE to fixed a brand new computer. sure, i could if i wanted to, but its the principle of the matter. now if i would have bought this say, 6 months ago, or even 2 months ago, i probably would have tried to restore myself to save the trip. but if something doesnt work in the FIRST 3 HOURS well, im going to head right back up there. and by bringing it back to the store, i can get it fixed...its not like im shutting it under my bed and crying all day. it broke down at 12 am - not much i can do at that time of night- im at work now, and the first chance i get to have a spare 2 hours i will be at the cherry hill mall. i apologize for sharing my experience on a forum when frustrated and disappointed with people (i thought?) would empathize...my parents certainly don't understand what im talking about with macs.

you certainly didn't need to be condescending.

No one was being condescending, they are simply being honest based upon experience.

Take an hour or so and reinstall the OS. Not only will this let you become more familiar with the machine, but it will also tell you if there is a problem with the Hardware, or there was just a software glitch which caused the problem. Taking it back to the Apple store is going to result in you sitting there while the OS gets reinstalled anyway......so why not do it from the comfort of your home?

You can either play the victim card, or be "proactive" and reinstall the OS. If it fails again, you can then go back to the Apple store with more ammunition and they may just outright exchange it at that point.

If you aren't willing to put forth an effort to help yourself, why are you expecting others? It sucks that this happened, but come on, take a step back and realize that stuff happens for no reason. Maybe your new MBP was so excited that it had been purchased and was being used that it just couldn't contain itself any longer and kernel panicked! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, 512Mb VRAM
1) make sure your laptop is off
2) unplug and rebox
3) return to apple store for money
4) pay someone to use a computer for you

This was condescending.

Maybe your new MBP was so excited that it had been purchased and was being used that it just couldn't contain itself any longer and kernel panicked!

However, this was hilarious. :D Every time my mac has a 'mare, I'm going to think of it like an overexcited puppy that just gets so happy it just goes a little mad for a bit. :) :D :)

OP
K
Reaction score
This was condescending.

However, this was hilarious. :D Every time my mac has a 'mare, I'm going to think of it like an overexcited puppy that just gets so happy it just goes a little mad for a bit. :) :D :)

Haha I agree completely. I know a new machine is a little quirky until you get it configured and settled to your liking! However, the os not starting at all is a bit more of a problem.

Lets give this another try. Last one I got a little angry and let my bad habit of cussing out, sorry to anyone who saw it before it was taken down,

I really appreciate those who answered with honest advice or those who empathized with my situation. At midnight when your new laptop doesn't work, its hard to be anything but upset. Zoolook, I should have realized not to have other programs open while doing the updates, I was just too excited to explore, but I'm definitely going to remember it for the next time!!

I have purchased 2 new macs in my life.

One of them I have not had a problem with out of the box and even yet.

The other failed and messed up first OS install/update. I reinstalled/updated and everything was great from then on.

Cry to me all you want about my condescending tone but your an annoying spoiled little rich kid. Out of the box or six months from now you should still possibly explore what may of caused the issue (update not taking right or what, these are simple problems), rather than cry with your finger on your tongue asking for more milk.

It's a waste of everyone's time to read your whine when you don't even take some of the advice offered up.

BAHAHAHAH i WISH i was a spoiled little rich kid, my life would a lot easier. I'm a 21 year old college student entering her senior year full of debt from student loans ALREADY before I even hit graduation. I work very hard for everything I have, and had to work 60 hours a week this summer just to make rent, pay my bills, and save a little on the side...SO SORRY, had to cash in my 21 year old savings bonds to manage a computer when my current one just completely died. I've been working with Macs for over 6 years, I know how use them. I'm not a noob, just never could afford my own. You know nothing about me and have no reason to act so disrespectful, I never did any thing to you. Don't read my threads if you really don't care that much. And if they're such a waste of time, why are you even bothering to respond?

McNibblewittz, I should have explained, $2900 is what i spent total with tax and all...thats with the $1800 MBP, applecare, ipod, adobe design premium package, mobile me....oh and a case. haha. I'm going to be getting about $300 more back in rebates, but at the moment, my bill on my credit card is $2921.13. More money than I've ever spent on anything. I opted for the high end model because once I graduate, I'm most likely going into web design or layout work and I know I'll need at least dreamweaver, photoshop, and indesign, so I figured I might as well get it now at once as opposed to waiting until after graduation and paying like, $1800. I want a quality Mac to last me over time. The last time I settled for less than what I wanted because of price, I regretted it for 3 years. Plus those darn Geniuses are sooo convincing, haha especially when its two cute guys trying to convince you to buy what you already want.

To end this monstrous post, I just got back from the Apple store. They spent an hour and a half trying to fix it, only to tell me something must be defective and they gave me a new one. They even told me how bad they felt for giving me a faulty product. Glad I didn't waste the time to try and fix it myself! But really, thank you to everyone who tried to help, I really appreciate it. Its great to know there are communities like this online willing to help a stranger out in a time of need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
This was condescending.

Yes you are correct, and I guess I missed seeing that. My apologies.

As crazy as it sounds, electronics do sometimes take on a life of their own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Honestly, just getting into this thread now, you did come off as bratty and spoiled (probably has to do with typing and not inflection of language etc). I understand your dilemma and am really glad you got everything worked out. There are a lot of really good people on here always willing to help. Don't let a few people chase you off from here.

:)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To end this monstrous post, I just got back from the Apple store. They spent an hour and a half trying to fix it, only to tell me something must be defective and they gave me a new one. They even told me how bad they felt for giving me a faulty product. Glad I didn't waste the time to try and fix it myself! But really, thank you to everyone who tried to help, I really appreciate it. Its great to know there are communities like this online willing to help a stranger out in a time of need.

Glad you got it all worked out. Do remember though when you run the updater, don't have applications running. I used to do that a long time ago and I was very lucky till one day! :D It's best to stop everything before starting the update.

Again, glad it worked out in the end and if we can ever help in any way, let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.