Can I do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Cintiq 21ux, Pegasus R4, iPads, iPhones and iPods
Could someone tell me how to do this, or if it can be done:

I want to have an icon on my dock that when clicked opens multiple programs. One of these programs would be firefox and I would like it to then go to a predetermined website. To make things even more complicated I want multiple tabs to open in firefox with predetermined websites.

Could i automate this some how? Thank you for any help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
First go to Firefox => Preferences. In the General tab, set the 'When Firefox Starts' field to "Show my windows and tabs from last time".

Then, just open the tabs the way you want them to appear next time. Then press Command + Q to quit Firefox. The next time you open it, it should go back to exactly the way it had been before you quit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Dont know FF but a work around for Safari
You could start with by going to System Preferences>Accounts>Log In Items, and you get this and from here you can check Safari to Open when logging in or Mac is turned on.
20100821-eit4id68bh27c3iracke431qu9.jpg

There isnt a icon out there to pre-determine certain Apps to open, but you can do this through what i described above.You can then use the Bookmark feature in Safari to have safari to open in certain Website. This will only work for one page in Safari though.
There is a App out there called Glims that i belive will re-open the last session you had in Safari that could be a benifit too you. You can also i believe use Glims to Have multiple Tabs opened at once. Dl it play with it and see if it what you want.
Maybe someone else will come in with a better solution for you or even correct me if i have been wrong in my writing :)

Hope it helps some

Cheers
EDitt : CWA beat me to the punch and has the FF work around

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
First go to Firefox => Preferences. In the General tab, set the 'When Firefox Starts' field to "Show my windows and tabs from last time".

Then, just open the tabs the way you want them to appear next time. Then press Command + Q to quit Firefox. The next time you open it, it should go back to exactly the way it had been before you quit.

Not a big FF user but won't that always remember how he left the windows rather than opening the same set of sites? In other words the next time he runs and quits with a different set of sites won't FF remember those?

This should be possible in Automator. Check out http://www.atpm.com/12.07/automator.shtml#25561. That's for an older version of FF and Automator but it should work

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not a big FF user but won't that always remember how he left the windows rather than opening the same set of sites? In other words the next time he runs and quits with a different set of sites won't FF remember those?

Sure, but if he remembers to keep those 3 tabs open, it's a quick and easy way to do what he's describing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I would be the person who forgets to leave those same windows open. That's why I built the Automator workflow. it always opens the same sites in addition to iChat, Skype, and Mail. The modification Sal posted should work with FF.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.