vibrations and buzz from mac pro?!

Cam

Reaction score
Has anyone else got the problem of a really annoying buzz and vibration from their mac pros? Its the hard disk drive 'holder' bit inside, and it's really really annoying! Just wondering if anyone had a solution - im gonna shove in some cardboard! Is this common?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Has anyone else got the problem of a really annoying buzz and vibration from their mac pros? Its the hard disk drive 'holder' bit inside, and it's really really annoying! Just wondering if anyone had a solution - im gonna shove in some cardboard! Is this common?

No, I've never had a vibration problem with the hard disk. However, I have had some excessive vibration when using certain optical discs. This might be due to an imbalance in the disc itself or stick-on labels. Are you sure it's your hard disk that is causing the vibration? They are typically well-dampened. If it truly is the hard disk, I would sooner replace that disk then attempt to wedge pieces in. If it's vibrating like that, I'd imagine you're looking at a potential failure.

Reaction score
It's not a new problem, others have had it too. When i added 3 more drives to my system i noticed i was getting the same thing. You might take the cover off and start the system and when you hear the noise reach in and touch/press against each drive and see if you can get it to stop.

What i ended up doing was taking some heavy paper and wedging in in place and it stopped it altogether for me. Evidently a slight design flaw in the mounting of the drives.

OP
C

Cam

Reaction score
It is definately from the h/d cradle thingy, you push it it stops. Looks like I'll be going with the paper shoved in technique. As for a failure, yeah - I've never noticed any real vibration from hard disks in the past, but then they're always screwed in to a metal chassis on pc's, and just click in on macs (I assume, thats what it looks like anyway). Sometimes Apple are to poncy for their own good - I want function first!!

Reaction score
Ya, just wedge the paper in the right place where the vib stops, works fine for me and i did it about 4 months ago, hasn't done it since. It didn't do it when i just had the one drive in, but after adding 3 other drives i started hearing it. Guess they made something just a bit to thin or something in the mounts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.