NAS Network Drive and Airport Express

Reaction score
I can't imagine I'm the only person that has tried this, yet I can only find vague information online.

I just purchased a NAS Network Drive, that connects through an ethernet cable, for online ftp and sharing.

I have an Airport Express base. I know that the USB port will only handle a printer and that remote. The vague info that I can find says the ethernet can use a drive like mine (although not supported, which I can understand why as it would make the Airport Extreme not as great).

But how do I do this? I don't care about using the airport express for any other purpose than a wireless bridge and for my airtunes. I don't need it to connect to the internet or anything like that.

Please let me know what I need to do or if any additional equipment is needed?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I can't imagine I'm the only person that has tried this, yet I can only find vague information online.

I just purchased a NAS Network Drive, that connects through an ethernet cable, for online ftp and sharing.

I have an Airport Express base. I know that the USB port will only handle a printer and that remote. The vague info that I can find says the ethernet can use a drive like mine (although not supported, which I can understand why as it would make the Airport Extreme not as great).

But how do I do this? I don't care about using the airport express for any other purpose than a wireless bridge and for my airtunes. I don't need it to connect to the internet or anything like that.

Please let me know what I need to do or if any additional equipment is needed?

If it's a NAS drive, it already has a network server built into it. The AirPort Extreme USB port can be attached to a standard USB hard disk and effectively turn it into a NAS. If yours is already a NAS, you would have no need for the AirPort Extreme's USB port. That drive can work as a standalone device attached to one of the Ethernet ports on the AirPort Extreme.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
which should apply to the Ethernet port on the Airport Express as well?

Yes. A NAS is effectively a small computer with storage attached. It acts like a server on a network. So, regardless of what kind of router you're using, it will basically plug into your network like any other client would and then you connect to it as you would any other file server (depending on how you have it configured).

OP
T
Reaction score
can someone please explain to me how to do this? step by step as nothing I am trying is working..and of course i have no idea what i'm doing.

OP
T
Reaction score
ALRIGHT! i figured it out and it works great.

However, now through my Powerbook I have to either choose to linke up to my Airport Express and work off the drive...or hook up to my wireless internet...I can't do both.

any suggestions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not entirely familiar with the Airport Express, but it sounds like it doesn't provide a normal network switch in addition to a wireless access point as most other wireless routers do. My suggestion would be to look into a real wireless router that has a four-port switch like most do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.