• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Any one collect knives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
When I was a kid, my dad had several. One in particular that I've always loved was the Gerber magnum LST. It's a folding knife with a drop-point fine blade. I've always wanted to own one and just found out where I can buy one. It's relatively cheap and durable as anything! I'm just tossed between the fine blade, and the serrated blade. What would you go for?

Fine:
06038-open_RGBm.jpg

Serrated:
GB-6014medium.gif

I've also been looking at other small, folding pocket knives. Any recommendations? Also, if you have anything, post what you have. All I have so far is this cheapo folding knife my buddy gave me for Xmas last year. It's obviously dull as I don't have a proper sharpening stone.

I'm not really into fixed-blades, but I think this is a gorgeous looking knife

1143.jpg

DSC00684.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Piles O knives here. Just snagged a 2008 Limited Edition Chris Reeve Sebenza with Satinwood inlays - very sweet. I had quite a few Microtech autos for a while, but sold them or traded them before I moved to Minnesota. Mustl Sebenzas now with a few Busse's and a Buck 184 for the ditty bag in my Jeep. Check out bldeforums.com if you are looking for a good knife chat forum - great guys and gals there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, iPod Video, iPod Nano Chrome 16gig
i cant say i collect knives - but when i used to go camping a knive always came in handy - i had a pretty bog standard swiss army knife it was good tho.

it's always good being able to pull out your knife to shave some wood for kindling, unfortunately in Britain we have a knife violence culture amoungst the youth (can't say i've ever been tempted to carry a blade - but still) so they have a pretty bad rep round here.

Reaction score
I used to have a Kershaw Ken Onion Scallion (Assisted Opening Knife) that I absolutely LOVED! I used it for just about everything from opening boxes to cutting up bait for fishing (heck, was even known to cut up my food with it on occasion). I say that I USED to own it because while night fishing one night last summer, I must have left it sitting on the bank, sucked. I will probably purchase another Kershaw knife before I started fishing again in March.

1620flst.jpg

*Edit - I would definetely go with serated because it can be used as kind of a "saw" if you ever need to cut through rope or the like. my2cents. Also, if your looking to purchase a knife online, check out smokeymountianknifeworks.com They have jsut about EVERY knife one could possibly think of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I have a few knives, but my main one is a Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops knife that I honestly cannot find on the internet anywhere.

I got it for like, 10 bucks at an auto parts store, and it's the best darn knife I've ever had.

Not to mention, it was rather easy to loosen up the blade just enough for one handed operation without being wobbly. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I can say without hesitation that I dislike serrated blades. More accurately I hate sharpening them. Kershaw, benchmade, etc are very nice knives.. I have a crkt assisted opener in my camelbak I use for dayhikes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, iPod Video, iPod Nano Chrome 16gig
I might like to add that one of my most prized possessions is an old WW2 assault knife that i was given by a friend of my grand parents.

Sure it's rusty but it was carried from D-Day all the way through Europe and was used in berlin on the day that peace was declared. It's odd how these things survive...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All time fave is my Benchmade 970S CQC7 Emerson "Spec-War". I've had is since about 1996 and it goes bang every time. The original has been sharpened so may times, there is actually less of it now. Compared to an relatively unused example, you can see the character in it...

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I had one "prettied up" by a custom maker and it turned out pretty well...

web.jpg

web.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow, that's a lot of sharpening.. or did you have nicks in it?

Reaction score
I can say without hesitation that I dislike serrated blades. More accurately I hate sharpening them. Kershaw, benchmade, etc are very nice knives.. I have a crkt assisted opener in my camelbak I use for dayhikes.

What is nice about buying a quality knife (kershaw, SOG, etc) is that they usually have free a sharpening service (warranty) for the life of the knife. I sent my Kershaw in once with a broken blade point and they replaced the blade free of charge. The only thing I had to pay was postage (there and return, ended up being like $8 total).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is nice about buying a quality knife (kershaw, SOG, etc) is that they usually have free a sharpening service (warranty) for the life of the knife. I sent my Kershaw in once with a broken blade point and they replaced the blade free of charge. The only thing I had to pay was postage (there and return, ended up being like $8 total).
yea, I have a wet grinder and a bunch of japanese waterstones. I sharpen hand tools on a daily basis so it's not a huge deal to me (call me stuck in the 19th century).. but it's especially handy for people that are uncomfortable sharpening.. or who are fine putting a hone on, but have a gouge or nick that needs to be removed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow, that's a lot of sharpening.. or did you have nicks in it?

Benchmade Lifesharp Servce every other year or 3 as needed. The chisel grind removed a bit of material each time so I tried to use it sparingly. Most sharpening was done with a Lansky or whatever was convenient.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
See, I love the look of the serrated.. But Apparently sharpening them is a pain in the rear.. That's my main concern..

Those are sweet looking knives XJ!

AppleisGreat - You say assisted-opening, kind of like a switch blade? I know SB's are illegal in Canada.. And I know Gerber makes a spring-assisted opening knife, but I'm not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
an assisted opener is classified differently than an auto-opener in the US (autos are actually legal here in AZ and I really want to get one, one handed use in the backcountry can be a benefit). May well be classified differently in Canada or your Province. The difference is an assisted knife you move the blade to open it, rather than hit a button.

Reaction score
an assisted opener is classified differently than an auto-opener in the US (autos are actually legal here in AZ and I really want to get one, one handed use in the backcountry can be a benefit). May well be classified differently in Canada or your Province. The difference is an assisted knife you move the blade to open it, rather than hit a button.

Yes, I know they are classified different but am not sure of the reasons for it. I think each state has a different law governing them. I read once that in PA a knife (of certain blade length, although I cannot remember the max) can be carried/concelead as long as it does not contain a spring to open it. Do not know the truth behind that (as I read it on the Internet), but it does seem logical to me. The Kershaw Assisted Opening knives use some type of torsion bar mechanism, do not know if it would be legal to carry in Canada, but it is a very nice feature to have when you need to get your knife open quick, and do not have two hands available!

Here is an explanation of the SpeedSafe Assisted Opening system from Kershaws Site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Every State in the USA is different. The Federal Laws in the USA pertain mainly shipping of the automatics and not possession. Here is a link with some basic State laws on the topic. Canada doesn't like autos or Bali's for the most part (or at least shipment of them from the USA).

State Knife Carry and Blade Length Laws

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I have a Kershaw Ken Onion. Straight blade. I used to have a Gerber Paraframe II, that was serrated. For the few times that I'd use the serrated part, I found it not worth it. If you keep the blade sharp, then you shouldn't have much trouble with a straight blade.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Ahh cool..

What I really want (apart from the LST), is something a bit smaller that I can fit into my pocket when I go out. Sometimes it can be a little unsafe when I take a trip downtown after dark. I've had to deal with too many jerks (ending up in shoving matches) because I won't give them a cigarette or the crack heads that lurk down there. Especially when my girl is with me. She's a lover, not a fighter.

Any recommendations? I've seen some cool pieces in the "what's in your pocket" thread.

Feel free to chime in :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd recommend avoiding those places personally. If it's that bad don't go there. If you can't avoid them, then remember to never bring a knife to a gun fight. If it's not worth killing over, then it's not worth fighting over to begin with. And if it is worth fighting over, fight as best you can. With the best tool you can - a gun.

Reaction score
I'd recommend avoiding those places personally. If it's that bad don't go there. If you can't avoid them, then remember to never bring a knife to a gun fight. If it's not worth killing over, then it's not worth fighting over to begin with. And if it is worth fighting over, fight as best you can. With the best tool you can - a gun.

Well said. These days a knife isn't really a good form of personal protection, especially a small pocket knife. Personally I do not think I would pull a knife in a fight unless I was on my back and used it as a last resort. I don't know the laws regrading a concealed pistol in Canada, but if downtown is that bad, you may consider looking into it. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.