Boot Camp Partitioning Issue

Reaction score
I just got my MacBook, and after installing some software and copying over some data, I tried the Bootcamp assistant. I got the following error:

"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

Is there any way to fix this issue without taking these steps?

MacBook Intel 2.2 Ghz
1 GB RAM
120 GB HD
Leopard 10.5.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
Usually when you're partitioning a drive, you will have to delete files, it's simply a part of the partitioning process ^^ partitioning the drive using the mac utilities will always format the drive.

If you wanna try and partition your drive without formatting everything, there is some software from subrosasoft called volumeworks which can dynamically repartition the drive without the need for erasure of data.

really, for the sake of stability and so forth, your best bet is backing up everything you have on your hard drive at the moment with superduper (great free program) onto an external HDD or second volume within the mac, formatting the whole shebang and repartitioning the drive and starting again :)

If this doesn't work feel free to tell me off xD

dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Usually when you're partitioning a drive, you will have to delete files, it's simply a part of the partitioning process ^^ partitioning the drive using the mac utilities will always format the drive.

If you wanna try and partition your drive without formatting everything, there is some software from subrosasoft called volumeworks which can dynamically repartition the drive without the need for erasure of data.

really, for the sake of stability and so forth, your best bet is backing up everything you have on your hard drive at the moment with superduper (great free program) onto an external HDD or second volume within the mac, formatting the whole shebang and repartitioning the drive and starting again :)

If this doesn't work feel free to tell me off xD

dave
your first "blurb" is untrue... Bootcamp assistant partitions your hard drive without reformatting. Disk Utility also does this as well..

OP
T
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to have to back up my drive, and re-format it, and then restore the data. Should I use Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper or Time Machine to do this? Also, I am getting a new 250 GB drive soon, and could I do the backup the same way to switch drives?
And last question, I an guessing the backup is done with the OS booted, and not with a boot disk, so how do I restore the data after I reformat the drive? Do I use the MacOS boot disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
before you start reformatting, try some other things first.

1)have you closed all open applications before trying to create the partition
2)try repairing disk permissions using disk utility
3)try verifying/repairing the disk using disk utility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
your first "blurb" is untrue... Bootcamp assistant partitions your hard drive without reformatting. Disk Utility also does this as well..

oops xD my bad I'm still in PC mode many many apologies

*washes mouth out with soap*

Reaction score
Hello all, I have the same problem. I have SuperDuper! installed on my computer but am afraid that once i've backed everything up I won't be able to "remigrate" everything back to my computer.

Is there a step-by-step tutorial as to how to backup a drive (as a bootable clone I assume), reformat the disk, and then move everything back so I looks just like I left it?

Thanks in advance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.