Question about using 2 graphics cards

Reaction score
I'm looking for a setup where I will use multiple monitors (more than 2) and would like them mirrored. I was looking at switchboxes but am wondering now also about graphics cards. I have the stock ATI card but is it possible then to add the 8800GT card that Apple offers to this computer and use both cards? My idea would be to use the two most important monitors I have to the 8800GT and then any additional needed screens would be added to the ATI. Would this work? If I get a 8800GT what model do I have to get or do I have to get a specific brand to make sure it's compatible with my Mac Pro?
Obviously I'd like to save money so is there a specific brand or place online I should look at to get a 512GB 8800 GT Card? Once I get it does it matter which slots I use to install the cards?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of memory
I'm looking for a setup where I will use multiple monitors (more than 2) and would like them mirrored. I was looking at switchboxes but am wondering now also about graphics cards. I have the stock ATI card but is it possible then to add the 8800GT card that Apple offers to this computer and use both cards? My idea would be to use the two most important monitors I have to the 8800GT and then any additional needed screens would be added to the ATI. Would this work? If I get a 8800GT what model do I have to get or do I have to get a specific brand to make sure it's compatible with my Mac Pro?
Obviously I'd like to save money so is there a specific brand or place online I should look at to get a 512GB 8800 GT Card? Once I get it does it matter which slots I use to install the cards?

The ability to add a second video card if so they can operate together for much better graphics performance. I don't think its possible to use both cards independently, not to mention the cards are completely incompatible with each other, and at least on "standard" PCs, ATi and nVidia drivers on one system can cause problems

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.