New to Mac!

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just ordered my first Mac :)
I'm not a big computer person at all but I figured I'd come on here and see what I can learn. I ordered the MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4bg Ram (which I'll upgrade myself to 8gb) and a 500gb HD.
Any advice would be great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums

You have certainly take the right first steps, buying a Mac is always a good step ;) but seriously, I think everyone here would recommend what you have decided to do and upgrade it yourself. You'll save yourself a nice amount of money doing it that way.
My advice would be to just simply have a play around with it, have a look at the help centre on the computer when you get it, but mostly just ask away.
Ask as many questions as you want even if it may seem silly or newbie-ish, we don't judge here so anything you want to know we'll be happy to answer.

HTH,

- Simon

OP
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums

You have certainly take the right first steps, buying a Mac is always a good step ;) but seriously, I think everyone here would recommend what you have decided to do and upgrade it yourself. You'll save yourself a nice amount of money doing it that way.
My advice would be to just simply have a play around with it, have a look at the help centre on the computer when you get it, but mostly just ask away.
Ask as many questions as you want even if it may seem silly or newbie-ish, we don't judge here so anything you want to know we'll be happy to answer.

HTH,

- Simon

Thats nice to know because people get torn up pretty bad on my 350z forums when they ask ridiculous questions. I'm more of a self learner and I like to read alot before I have to ask a question, but I'm sure I'll have a few :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Welcome aboard, 350Z! I think you'll find that this is a very friendly forum.

We actually have a special forum just for Mac newbies we call the Switcher's Hangout, I'm going to move this thread over there, since the one you posted in is geared toward "Community Suggestions and Feedback".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", i7 2GHz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, OS X 10.7.1 - iPhone 3GS
Hello and welcome aboard!

I have a similar MBP and I cannot say enough times, I LOVE MY MAC! :Cool:

The unspoken other great part of being a Mac owner is a really great community where you find plenty of helpful people and answers. There are also good threads you can just read through and beef up your OS X knowledge on your own.

Congratulations again! (Make sure you are sitting down when you first open your Mac and get started, or you will end up knocked on the floor)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
Welcome aboard 350Z. I looked at a 370Z when I was looking for another car. I opted for the Mini Cooper instead. Only because I already had the goat. I liked the car except for the blind spots.

This forum is really great. Real smart Mac users who if you heed the advice can really make your experience far more fun and fulfilling. Read that "trouble free".

Welcome.

Pat

OP
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, 350Z! I think you'll find that this is a very friendly forum.

We actually have a special forum just for Mac newbies we call the Switcher's Hangout, I'm going to move this thread over there, since the one you posted in is geared toward "Community Suggestions and Feedback".

Thanks alot! I was actually looking for a subsection like that but I couldn't seem to find one. Thank you for moving me to the proper section

Hello and welcome aboard!

I have a similar MBP and I cannot say enough times, I LOVE MY MAC! :Cool:

The unspoken other great part of being a Mac owner is a really great community where you find plenty of helpful people and answers. There are also good threads you can just read through and beef up your OS X knowledge on your own.

Congratulations again! (Make sure you are sitting down when you first open your Mac and get started, or you will end up knocked on the floor)

I do plan on doing a good amount of reading to help me figure this out and build on my knowledge so I can do more than just the basics. I'm definitely excited

Welcome aboard 350Z. I looked at a 370Z when I was looking for another car. I opted for the Mini Cooper instead. Only because I already had the goat. I liked the car except for the blind spots.

This forum is really great. Real smart Mac users who if you heed the advice can really make your experience far more fun and fulfilling. Read that "trouble free".

Welcome.

Pat

370z's are really nice cars too but I've heard the mini cooper's are fun to drive and handle great. What year gto do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
GTO is a 2005. 400 hp 6 speed. Has the 6 liter. Getting a lot of miles on it now but still runs perfectly. It's fun to go from light to light but the Mini's have more handling fun.

Pat

C

chas_m

If you haven't gotten round to it already, have a read of the essay in my signature.

OP
Reaction score
GTO is a 2005. 400 hp 6 speed. Has the 6 liter. Getting a lot of miles on it now but still runs perfectly. It's fun to go from light to light but the Mini's have more handling fun.

Pat

Nice I really like the 05's. Its nice to have a little bit of both worlds having the mini cooper also

If you haven't gotten round to it already, have a read of the essay in my signature.

For some reason I think that may have been the first thing I read when I checked out the site. Very useful thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.