How would I increase my Wifi signal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Hey guys, so our wifi signal stinks, where we're currently staying we only get about 1 bar of signal. I was wondering if there is some sort of a receiver that will actually pick up the wifi signal and increase it's strength? Moving closer to the router is not an option unfortunately, and I'm not personally sure if something like this actually even exists... Help? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
s it your router

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it's the motel's router that we're currently staying at. Unfortunately it's WAY over in the office, and we're over here. We're going to be here for a while, so I'd like to get some decent internet connectivity if at all possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Wi Fi will come through the router so it will have a lot to do with this.

Bear in mind you are in a shared location where lots of people are using Wi Fi which will mean the signal may be reduced.

When I am in the office we have a 100 meg/gig leased line whereas at home I have 10 meg/gigs internet.

My connection at home is faster than my connection in the office due to the amount of people using the service.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, it's the motel's router that we're currently staying at. Unfortunately it's WAY over in the office, and we're over here. We're going to be here for a while, so I'd like to get some decent internet connectivity if at all possible.

Most motels that provide WiFi also have ethernet connectivity in each room. Did you check to see if the motel you're staying at provides that?

Otherwise, there's not much you can do to increase signal strength. On occasion, I have been able to use a USB extended antenna with my Toshiba notebook to get an increased signal. However, that same antenna does not work with OS X. There are extended USB antennas that work with OS X but they're rather costly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
No, it's the motel's router that we're currently staying at. Unfortunately it's WAY over in the office.

I've just been through this frustrating scenario several times. I found the only solutions were to:
1. move closer to the router, eg. in the hotel/motel lobby, even sitting out in the car which was parked close to the office,
or
2. use the wi-fi at low-load times, eg. in the middle of the night!

You may be able to persuade the motel management to issue a new log-on i-d, which could include a different router with a stronger signal.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most motels that provide WiFi also have ethernet connectivity in each room. Did you check to see if the motel you're staying at provides that?

Otherwise, there's not much you can do to increase signal strength. On occasion, I have been able to use a USB extended antenna with my Toshiba notebook to get an increased signal. However, that same antenna does not work with OS X. There are extended USB antennas that work with OS X but they're rather costly.

Unfortunately there is no ethernet in here. I was thinking about an antenna, but I was hoping there was more of a receiver that would take in the wifi signal, and increase it's strength somehow, almost like a Router for a router...

I've just been through this frustrating scenario several times. I found the only solutions were to:
1. move closer to the router, eg. in the hotel/motel lobby, even sitting out in the car which was parked close to the office,
or
2. use the wi-fi at low-load times, eg. in the middle of the night!

You may be able to persuade the motel management to issue a new log-on i-d, which could include a different router with a stronger signal.

I doubt that we would be able to persuade them to do anything like that, and we're already as close to the office as we can get. Also using it in the middle of the night is the only way that we're actually getting the 1 bar of signal, in the middle of the day we don't get any signal at all. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 13 2.8GHz, 3GS+4S, iPad 3G, Shuffle, ATV, TC 1TB, Airp. Ext., Airp. Exp.
parabolic reflector

Google: router parabolic reflector

I've made some before from cereal packet and foil.
Worked great - I got an extra 8dB signal strength through two walls and into the garden - made wi-fi usable again at over 100 ft away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.