How to do highlight command in Preview?

Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if someone could give me some insight on this. I want to do the shortcut in Preview to highlight text quickly, but I can't figure out how to do the "^" that it requires. The command to highlight text is:

^ command H

I've tried the following:

shift 6 command H (since 6 is the key that has the "^" symbol)

up arrow key command H (this doesn't work either)

command H (doesn't work)

So what key is the one that supposedly is the "^" component of the "^ command H" shortcut? I'm a student and I have a lot of stuff to highlight in my pdfs. Arghh!! Somebody please help!

BTW, the command is under Tools-->Mark Up-->Highlight Text

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The up arrow is the Shift key. So to use that shortcut, it would be:

Shift + Command + H

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, but it still doesn't work...has anyone gotten this command to work via the shortcut? Any more ideas?

Reaction score
:)

I came looking for the same thing, and i found it! you've prob already found it by now but anyways...

it's control+command+H...here's the link to where i found it

Preview Tutorial - Mark Up Tools

i don't understand how ^ conveys command, but it works! hope this helps!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
^ is the traditional notation for Control, which has been used for years. Caret notation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Microsoft prefers to use "Ctrl", but Apple has always used symbols for its menus, both to stay language-neutral, and to save space.

For what it's worth:

⌥ is Option

⌘ is Command

↩ is Return, which should never be confused with the Enter key, ⌤, (the one on the Numeric pad at the far right of a desktop keyboard; it's fn+return on a portable keyboard.)

⌫ is the Delete key, which should never be confused with the Forward Delete key, ⌦, (which must be entered as fn+⌫ on a portable)

⇧ is the Shift key; it's hollow, unlike the up-arrow key (Which would be ↑, along with the other arrow keys (↓, →, and ←)

Finally, ⎋ is the Escape (esc) key.

Even I don't know which ones are the Home/End and Page Up/Page Down keys. They're something like ⇤ and ⇥, though.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Here's an image file I keep handy just for this.

20090226-th8wu7gwym79y81gysc8e76bck.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Thanks where did you get that table? I've always thought I had to memorize and figure out these controls.... Apple should really put these images on the keys, like they do on the /command key and the forward-delete key.

Reaction score
I have a question about preview... I can open my document in preview but for some reason when I click on annotate, all the options come up but I can't highlight, add note or anything to the document. Am are doing something wrong or are there some pdf files that just aren't compatible with preview?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Apple should really put these images on the keys, like they do on the /command key and the forward-delete key.

And/or they should have a readily accessible legend. There's a minimal one in the Keyboard & Mouse System Preferences pane, but it's hidden. You have to click the Modifier Keys button. It's not intended as a legend, but as settings you can customize.

I have a question about preview...

You might have better luck starting a thread for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.