How to turn off sleep mode on closing lid?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB DDR3L RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
How do i get my mac book pro to stop going into sleep mode when I close the lid?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
The only way I know of (without firmware hacking) is attaching a USB keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Then it won't sleep when closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
read the warning if you use these third party programs. I started using insomniax and 2 weeks later my HDD was fried.. It could have been a fluke but I think it has something to do with the program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
yea ive been wanting to do that for a while...is there a way (without installing that crazy program) to get it so iChat doesnt set ur status to offline when ur computer goes to sleep?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
yea ive been wanting to do that for a while...is there a way (without installing that crazy program) to get it so iChat doesnt set ur status to offline when ur computer goes to sleep?
Nope. Unless you do what surfwax95 pointed out, you can't have the computer's network connection active when the machine sleeps.

Why would you want to remain connected to an instant messenger when you aren't actively using your computer anyway? Seems a little silly to me to have an IM app open, connected, and running if you are only going to put your computer to sleep. The computer is asleep, you aren't using it... why wouldn't you want your status to go to "Offline"? Anyway...it is kinda hard to chat online with people if the computer is shut and you aren't using it. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
darn. well see i what constantly happens to me is i leave my away message up, leave the room, some people IM me, and then my housekeeper or anyone else walking through my room closes the lid, and all the people who IMed me now think i read what they sent, but i have no idea wat they said. its no big deal, just wish i cud make it keep my status as away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
darn. well see i what constantly happens to me is i leave my away message up, leave the room, some people IM me, and then my housekeeper or anyone else walking through my room closes the lid, and all the people who IMed me now think i read what they sent, but i have no idea wat they said. its no big deal, just wish i cud make it keep my status as away.

tell your "housekeeper or anyone else" not to touch your things. and if they do you are going to rip off their arm and beat them with the wet end.
that should clear up the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I'm interested to know (apart from narf1899 who's already explained) why people want their Mac to stay awake when they close the lid? Nothing against it, just curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm interested to know (apart from narf1899 who's already explained) why people want their Mac to stay awake when they close the lid? Nothing against it, just curious.
I have always wondered the same thing. :black:
If it is closed and you aren't actively using it, then what is the point of keeping the computer awake?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have always wondered the same thing. :black:
If it is closed and you aren't actively using it, then what is the point of keeping the computer awake?

The only thing that comes to my mind is folding or so you can keep a huge upload or download going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz

Some of it I think it's just something Windows users are accustomed to. A lot of new Mac users seem to ask about this. Maybe it's just habit. Also, some people like the cleaner look of a tucked away machine?

"Well my old PC could do it, why can't my mac?" That was the first question that one of my friends asked me when she got her Macbook.

People like to come back to ichat/AIM with a slew of messages. Makes 'em feel popular? Important? Who knows? Nowadays, I rarely even use IM services since I'd rather text with my phone... or for important stuff... email (of course)!

Large downloads is a valid concern/point... or in the olden days (g4)... people who had shattered LCD's or laptops they wanted to use more as desktops may have preferred to close the lid and use the machine.

... but still... I think it's mostly a PC notebook habit... mostly.

M

MacHeadCase

I heard that the heat generated by the processor escapes through the keyboard on Apple laptops and that if the laptop is forced to stay awake and the lid is closed, it can do some damage to the screen or something.

Anyway, found this: Mac Shutdown X.

Who knows, it might come in handy to some of you. :girl:

Reaction score
with my usb mouse plugged in i just close the lid and click the mouse and it wakes it up...i don't even need a monitor or a keyboard connected.

Reaction score
I like to keep it awake so I can convert files, especially since I have an Iphone. I'll put a VCD disk into the drive (I have several hundreds of these) and turn on my converter. I can't leave it open because I have two cats and I don't want to sit there and stare at it for the half hour (minimum) it takes to do each disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I close my lid when watching tv shows on my television via my MBP sometimes for a few hrs at a time. I've actually noticed a lot less heat when the lid is closed, as opposed to leaving the lid open and dimming the screen (which doesn't COMPLETELY black out the screen btw). I worried about maybe ghost images on my screen eventually, but have no real basis for my concerns so don't quote me on that.

The heat escapes through vents on the back and bottom of your Mac underneath the screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.