Help me decide before my brain just STOPS!

Reaction score
Firstly hi all, this is my first post...I've worked with computers for the past 15 years in the design field both on macs and pc's and I am currently freelancing again. Now here's where I need the help of true mackies.. I am currently working on PC HP pentium 4 Hyperthread 2.5 gb ram. I'm running CS5 with NO problems at all, I also have it running like a dream on my dual core laptop, but like most designers I have a 'pull' to use Mac. So I'm thinking of getting a little system to get my Mac fix. Budget us around 2-250 choices are
DUAL CORE G5 / MAC MINI / or lowend IMAC
I've come to the conclusion that NONE off these will run CS5 (decently) so my question is which do I go for... Do I DOWNGRADE to CS4 on a G5 that can be souped up or is it really worth going for a cheap intel with not much scope of upgrading hardware I mean as a designer with access to CS5 already which would be the best and most useful addition to my small but efficient set up.
Sorry for the length, but I've SEARCHED until I've confused myself and would appreciate all your knowledge, thang in advance guys (and girls) S )

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Considering your situation...going for a low-end or better Intel based Mac is best. But also realize that an older low-end Intel Mac still may not have the "horsepower" to run CS5 at the speeds you may be used to on your Windows-based computer.

Intel Mac's have been out since 2006...so that makes the "newest" non-Intel Mac's at least 5 years old...which will be non-compatible with many newer software packages & apps.

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
go for an iMac, new ones. they will last you for ages. you can boost them to 16GB of Ram too, this is futureproof enough for a long time for heavy users of cs5.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would say if your budget is $200-$250 and you want to run CS5, quit looking at buying any computer. Continue using what you have, set that money aside and start saving.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanx

Cheers guys, I appreciate that, and I know Mac is dropping ppc, but without starting a 'heated' debate as I know you guys are tired the whole pc V Mac but do you not feel like Mac is quite terrible for supporting it's 'loyal' followers I mean windows is SO adaptable compared to Mac when it comes to usage and I KNOW this gives apple the 'elite' feel but they could bend a little. My G4 quicksilver was £1500 when it came out now it's worth £50 that depreciation is phenom! thats why i considered the G5 dual as they can be really beefed up, but alas apple wont let you have their shiny new OS. I prob will keep working the pc to pay for the Mac as I do believe a nice shiny Mac doesn't affect creativity...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, but you have it all wrong. People will actually pay $50 for a G4 Quicksilver.

The $2,000 Windows rig I built at that time, don't think I could get rid of it today if I paid them the $50 to take it. And the $2k I spent to build one, would have cost me $3-4k if I'd bought it off the shelf from Alienware or Dell. It'd probably cost me $100 to get someone to take one of those off my hands.

And you're not going to install Win 7 on any 733Mhz to 1 Ghz computer from that time frame either. You're really not going to install it on a 5 yr old P4 chip either if you want to have it run very well.

2 to 3 and even 5 year old Macs are actually worth something. It's almost impossible to give away a 1-2 year old windows machine.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i know no one likes depreciation, but lets face it, if you come to sell anything, almost a decade after you bought it, its gonna have lost a lot of value. not just macs, but nearly everything. Compare your G4 to an equivalent Windows box and see how much thats worth.

As for the second part, i agree. I study with alot of creative people, and all but one are Mac users. they have misinformed views of why they are using a mac (its usually because they are using Logic, because they've been told its the best, with no real reason to accompany) and they believe the Windows user is using an inferior machine. but if you heard the work the Windows user does with his, you would be amazed at the quality. So yes, I believe what OS your using does not affect creativity, as long as its stable and working correctly. Stick with a PC for the time being. gather up some money then start looking into some Macs: if you still want one that is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am currently working on PC HP pentium 4 Hyperthread 2.5 gb ram. I'm running CS5 with NO problems at all, I also have it running like a dream on my dual core laptop, but like most designers I have a 'pull' to use Mac. So I'm thinking of getting a little system to get my Mac fix.

To be honest...I think that you should skip this whole idea of buying a Macintosh computer. You've already admitted that you're running CS5 on your Windows laptop with "NO problems at all"...and the ONLY reason you want to buy a Macintosh computer is "peer pressure" from other designers.

If you're used to running CS5 on your Windows computer ("like a dream")...getting an older Macintosh...and possibly downgrading to CS4...is really going to be a step backwards from both a hardware & software perspective.

Lastly...if you can only scrape together 200-250 for an older used Macintosh computer (which is NOT a very large budget)...it sounds like that money would be better kept deposited in the bank for a "rainy day".:)

Good luck,

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
very good point nick: Dont fix what aint broken.

OP
C
Reaction score
I agree completely i'll prob hook up a second monitor to the PC instead and as a designer I suppose that infamous apple logo and the quirky launch bar will always be tempting.. ) BUT re: depreciation of a PC I know you'd get less for an 'older' spec PC bit let's face it for the money it will still out perform the same value low end Mac AND it would probably run a LOT more current software. and we seem to have lost the thread what I really wanted to know was which one out of the 3 macs would make the best for casual use...)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and we seem to have lost the thread what I really wanted to know was which one out of the 3 macs would make the best for casual use...)

Actually you never asked that specific question in any of your earlier posts!;)

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Doesn't mater what computer or OS you use to design. As long as you get the job done.

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry your right i should have worded it better, just seen a quad 4 gaming PC...for the price of a Mac mini... Curse you apple and your sleek stylish lure! Anyway thanks for your response. )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.