MacPro seems to be dead?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My Mac Pro just switched off, and its not coming back on, its dead! After googling it people say it could be the logic board, but how do i know for sure? Could it be something simple like the power unit ect?
:[

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How old is the Mac Pro? Have you had this issue before? What happens (blinks, sounds) when you press the power button? Open the side cover and look inside when pressing the power button to see if you see any lights or hear the hard drives spinning..

OP
S
Reaction score
How old is the Mac Pro? Have you had this issue before? What happens (blinks, sounds) when you press the power button? Open the side cover and look inside when pressing the power button to see if you see any lights or hear the hard drives spinning..

Thanks for the reply, its about 6 years old, i got a second hdd installed before, worked fine but then the mac would not start up (flashing question mark) seems to be a common enough issue but that was resolved, the hdd was not installed correctly.

This time the mac is completely dead, no noise, no lights nothing, it was left idle for over a year but the last 6 weeks i have been using it solid most days, and i did notice it was a bit nosier than usual, kind of a humming noise but i did not think much of it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't see any indication of it powering up, it could possible be the power supply or the logic board as you originally surmised. I wonder if you can scour eBay or other places for a replacement power supply which would probably be cheaper than a logic board..

OP
S
Reaction score

Are Mac Pro power supplies the same or will i need a specific one for my mac pro model?

My machine, Mac Pro 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 3gb Ram

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's best to try to get a power supply that matches the part number/make of your existing power supply so open the case and take a look at the power supply and report back the make (Delta Electronics or otherwise) and the Apple Part Number..

OP
S
Reaction score
Now after i disconnected all cables everything, and reconnected everything and pressed power button for 5 seconds i looked back at the machine and noticed the led on monitor is on, and i can hear some very low noise at the back of the tower, where the fan is but the tower is still not responsive, it wont turn on... hmm?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Looks like a power supply. The Mac Pro 3.1 is still a viable machine. Take it to your local Apple dealer and get a quote. Power supply should run about $300-400.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.