I need some opinions on a HDD upgrade for my unibody

Reaction score
Hey everyone, here's my dilemma.

I have a late 2008 13" macbook unibody. Has all the bells and whistle, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, lighted keyboard, etc.,

It came with a 250GB HDD and I have had no problems with it. Well it's almost a year now and I am slowly reaching the limits of it with approximately 19GB of free space left.

I've acquired a copy of Windows 7 through my school using a student discount and I want to be able to dual boot it using Boot Camp. Some of my classes have some training tools that uses the .exe file extension.

So I've been looking around and have narrowed my choices down to a 500GB 5,400RPm and a 500GB 7,200RPM. Both Seagate drives and with outstanding ratings from customers.

However, I'm not looking for sheer performance from the drives. Rarely, and I want to emphasize that, do I ever need the performance for sustained read/write.

I want to upgrade my HDD but want to retain most of the factory characteristics of my MacBook's HDD.

Thank You for the help in advance,

Len

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Sounds like you made up your mind. Just get whatever has the most storage for the money if you don't care about read and write speeds.

While you are at it, might want to look at this as well.

I saw it for $99 USD the other day. >_<" The price went up slightly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey everyone, here's my dilemma.

I have a late 2008 13" macbook unibody. Has all the bells and whistle, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, lighted keyboard, etc.,

It came with a 250GB HDD and I have had no problems with it. Well it's almost a year now and I am slowly reaching the limits of it with approximately 19GB of free space left.

Two thoughts:

1. Do you have all of your current hard drive information backed up somewhere? If not, you might want to take care of that first.

2. Do you really NEED everything currently on your hard drive? Could some of it be deleted, burned to a CD or DVD, or be placed on an external hard drive?...thus freeing up a bunch of space on your current hard drive.

Just some things to consider,

- Nick

OP
len0475
Reaction score
Sounds like you made up your mind. Just get whatever has the most storage for the money if you don't care about read and write speeds.

While you are at it, might want to look at this as well.

I saw it for $99 USD the other day. >_<" The price went up slightly.

Oh, that looks nice. I wonder if any other on here has used it and what are their thoughts. Thank YOU!

OP
len0475
Reaction score
Two thoughts:

1. Do you have all of your current hard drive information backed up somewhere? If not, you might want to take care of that first.

2. Do you really NEED everything currently on your hard drive? Could some of it be deleted, burned to a CD or DVD, or be placed on an external hard drive?...thus freeing up a bunch of space on your current hard drive.

Just some things to consider,

- Nick

1. The only backup I have is the time machine. I have an external 320GB HDD that I use solely for backup.

2. Of course not! I'm not going to lie, I could probably easily free up an additional 20GB if I remove some customer's RAW pictures and transfer them over to the external. I could clean up close to 100GB with all the music I have from garage band and iTunes. But it seems emotion is taking over logic here as the only thing I do on my laptop now is write essays and take notes. LoL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.