Switching from PC's to iMac or Mac Pro?

Reaction score
Here is a newbie question. I have 3 kids and I currently have 3 PC desktops in my son's room (all lined up in a long desk) & 1 PC desktop in my office. I am thinking about switching to a MAC system. I was wondering if it is possible to use a Mac Pro as a server to power all 4 desktops or do I need to buy 4 iMacs if I need to switch to Mac. I am getting fed up with the PC's and miss the time I had a G5. I feel like a newbie all over, please help :Oops:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here is a newbie question. I have 3 kids and I currently have 3 PC desktops in my son's room (all lined up in a long desk) & 1 PC desktop in my office. I am thinking about switching to a MAC system. I was wondering if it is possible to use a Mac Pro as a server to power all 4 desktops or do I need to buy 4 iMacs if I need to switch to Mac. I am getting fed up with the PC's and miss the time I had a G5. I feel like a newbie all over, please help :Oops:

Well...I'm not going to say that I'm a computer networking expert. But when I was in college, working in one of the computer labs (Macintosh's)...you needed one computer to act as the "server"...and then you needed one computer for each user.

The server "shared" the software...which would require a multi-user license for each application shared. Plus you needed the special "server" software, and certain Apple computer models were specially designed as "server" models.

So if most or all of these parameters still hold true...for a server setup you would need:

- one more computer than you have users (in this case 3 kid computers + 1 adult computer + server computer = 5 computers)
- server software
- multi-license application software (including the Mac OS)

So I would think that a "Server" setup would be more expensive than buying 4 separate iMac's or Mac-Mini's.

If you already have compatible monitors, keyboards, and mice...then the lowest cost route would be to purchase 4 Mac-Mini's.

And an even lower cost route would be to purchase 4 used Mac-Mini's.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. BTW...you can purchase 4 Mac-Mini's for the price of one Mac Pro.:)

Reaction score
If your wanting to get away from windows issues you have to get away. Let the kids play with the PC's till they lock up. Used Macs are very good if you buy from a honest dealer. Ive rarely seen an old Mac.. like over 10 years old not work. Stick with one that uses your own monitors etc. a Mini or Tower.

Reaction score
OSX allows you to have several users on the one Mac. They have different passwords for each of their virtual computers. They cannot use the computer at the same time though.

Get macs with radio networks though - its much simpler.

Network backing gets very complicated I reckon. But its the way to go if you want to ensure safe data. And if you do, a RAID one means its fault tolerant.

But then they are young - they should learn to back up themselves. And the biggest issues they'll have, will be all their music and videos that will fill up their computers. So buy them external drives, for all their junk. Preferably the ruggedized portable type. they cost more but they are more kid proof.

If budget is an issue, buy them macbooks, get a radio back device, and one big screen and keyboard for when its needed, with the quick release mini-dvi connection which modern macbooks (or 13" macbook Pros have now).

Macbooks are not so cheap, but they are very solid units and reliable.

OP
Reaction score
Leaning towards Mac Minis........is that a good choice?

If your wanting to get away from windows issues you have to get away. Let the kids play with the PC's till they lock up. Used Macs are very good if you buy from a honest dealer. Ive rarely seen an old Mac.. like over 10 years old not work. Stick with one that uses your own monitors etc. a Mini or Tower.

OSX allows you to have several users on the one Mac. They have different passwords for each of their virtual computers. They cannot use the computer at the same time though.

Get macs with radio networks though - its much simpler.

Network backing gets very complicated I reckon. But its the way to go if you want to ensure safe data. And if you do, a RAID one means its fault tolerant.

But then they are young - they should learn to back up themselves. And the biggest issues they'll have, will be all their music and videos that will fill up their computers. So buy them external drives, for all their junk. Preferably the ruggedized portable type. they cost more but they are more kid proof.

If budget is an issue, buy them macbooks, get a radio back device, and one big screen and keyboard for when its needed, with the quick release mini-dvi connection which modern macbooks (or 13" macbook Pros have now).

Macbooks are not so cheap, but they are very solid units and reliable.

Well...I'm not going to say that I'm a computer networking expert. But when I was in college, working in one of the computer labs (Macintosh's)...you needed one computer to act as the "server"...and then you needed one computer for each user.

The server "shared" the software...which would require a multi-user license for each application shared. Plus you needed the special "server" software, and certain Apple computer models were specially designed as "server" models.

So if most or all of these parameters still hold true...for a server setup you would need:

- one more computer than you have users (in this case 3 kid computers + 1 adult computer + server computer = 5 computers)
- server software
- multi-license application software (including the Mac OS)

So I would think that a "Server" setup would be more expensive than buying 4 separate iMac's or Mac-Mini's.

If you already have compatible monitors, keyboards, and mice...then the lowest cost route would be to purchase 4 Mac-Mini's.

And an even lower cost route would be to purchase 4 used Mac-Mini's.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. BTW...you can purchase 4 Mac-Mini's for the price of one Mac Pro.:)

:eek: I am leaning towards a Mac Mini....is that a good choice? What version are the most reliable?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:eek: I am leaning towards a Mac Mini....is that a good choice? What version are the most reliable?

Are you thinking new or used?

G4 or Intel based?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
You'd need to go for the Intel-based machine to be able to use the latest OS

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you thinking new or used?

G4 or Intel based?

- Nick

"4ohTENNISis4cc"...honestly...do you even know what I'm talking about??:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.