IP Address Blocker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
IP Address Blocker and Setting up VPN

IP Address Blocker and Setting up VPN

Morning everyone!

Is there a program anyone would suggest that will hide my IP address? The reason I ask is there is a message board that is taking my photography and posting it as their own. When ever I visit the website to address the issue, they take note of my IP address and then block me. I know there are all of these free re-routing sites, but I think I would prefer to buy a program that I know will work and protect me. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That's pretty lame of the site, and you can't really hide your IP or anything, you have to provide something. People use proxies for this purpose alone, it can scramble your IP address each time so it appears like you are coming from different places..

I don't know of any one, and if you have copyrights on your photography and they are taking it without permission or payment..you can make a legal case. Have a lawyer write up a cease and desist letter to the owner of the message board and take them to court if they don't oblige..

In this particular case, you probably want to go the legal route than the technical one..

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
It's really not worth it to make a legal issue of it for me, as I am not selling them, it's just mainly really irritating. (It's a long story that I won't bore you with all of the details.) Is there a good proxy server you would suggest? I have tried the free ones, but they slow my computer down to a Windows pace (ha) and basically I want to beat my head against the wall.

Thank you for responding so quickly. ;)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't know of any proxies as I haven't had to use it, but I imagine that any VPN/Proxy is going to slow down your connection as they bounce you around their servers to mask your IP or traffic..that's one of the downsides of these services..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Rather than using a proxy server (which would work), I suggest looking into utilizing a Virtual Private Network instead. (VPN) There are several which are free for non business use and would protect, hide, your IP address. Do some Googling and at the same time get an understanding on how a VPN works.

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know of any proxies as I haven't had to use it, but I imagine that any VPN/Proxy is going to slow down your connection as they bounce you around their servers to mask your IP or traffic..that's one of the downsides of these services..

Yuck. Okay, I appreciate your time, Raz0r!

If anyone else knows of any proxies they have used in the past that doesn't make them want to throw themselves off a building do to slow speed, that would be great! It would be nice to find something that was easy to turn on and off, as opposed to having to go into my settings in Safari and change the proxy info each time I go to the site. Really, that is the only time I would need it. :p

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rather than using a proxy server (which would work), I suggest looking into utilizing a Virtual Private Network instead. (VPN) There are several which are free for non business use and would protect, hide, your IP address. Do some Googling and at the same time get an understanding on how a VPN works.

Oh thank you! I don't know how I missed your response, but so glad for it. I will get researching. Thanks again! I just love this board, I know all of my MAC and tech questions will bet met with sound, reasonable responses! ;D

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Hi! I am weeding through google and getting most of my questions answered. The main concern I have (and forgive my ignorance)-does using a VPN open my computer up to potential security risks? I know this is silly- but can it allow tracking of passwords, account numbers, etc. I am looking at StrongVPN right now, but am stressing a bit over the reviews. A bunch of positive ones, then there are some that say the VPN slows them down to dial-up speed. :Sleeping: Dial-up speed is bad. I know there will be negative reviews with every product, but am wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a VPN they use and like?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, a VPN does not open you to security risks, and in fact offers more security especially when traveling or posting from somewhere like Starbucks. As for slowing your connection down, that's a possibility. That's why you need to review all available options for VPN usage. You may desire to utilize a pay VPN rather than free. There are several real nice pay VPNs which are economical to use and do not interfere with your primary connection.

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, a VPN does not open you to security risks, and in fact offers more security especially when traveling or posting from somewhere like Starbucks. As for slowing your connection down, that's a possibility. That's why you need to review all available options for VPN usage. You may desire to utilize a pay VPN rather than free. There are several real nice pay VPNs which are economical to use and do not interfere with your primary connection.

I am thinking paying for one is the way to go, too. And more security is a plus! I did stumble across the Cloak app a few moments ago, but it seems to be more costly simply because you don't have to configure your settings, like with the other VPN providers.

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wanted to add that I downloaded VPNOneClick from the app store and am using the free version. It actually works really well, and am quite happy with it. But as far as keeping my computer secure, I understand a paid VPN will do that for me, but does a free one as well? Or is it opening me up for trouble?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.