Mac OS X help!

Reaction score
ok my mac OS X is about 5 years old and it runs SOOO Slow now. it is the family computer so it has a bunch of crap that is downloaded. my mom says we should get the hard drive cleared or something but i think we should start fresh with a new mac. lots of the online games i used to always play never work anymore i just get disconnected. also at my friends house i see them playing on Extrema detail with no lag but with mine on Extremely poor details it lags like a mother. i got a wireless router wich dosnt seem to make any trouble but i relly want to drastically increase the speed of my mac. is it worth it getting it 'tuned or fixed' up? or would it be faster if i bought a new one

Reaction score
Have you tried OnyX... it helps clean a lot of stuff and helps tune the system up...

C

chas_m

You can do a lot to help your Mac regain its former speed by clearing out the crud. After backing up the pictures, music etc that's important to you, try a full erase and reinstall (if you have an Intel Mac, now would be a REALLY good time to put Snow Leopard on).

Set up fresh new accounts, restore the pics/music/docs from your backup, reinstall only the software you REALLY NEED, and your old Mac should behave like new.

Five years, however, is about the length of peak life of a computer these days, so while I recommend the above first, you should at least start saving towards your next computer.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Did the suggestions the guys have made thus far make any difference? Also, How much free space is left on your boot drive? OS X starts to really bog down as the drive gets full. Some users have noticed a slowdown if there is about 15% or less of free space left. If you are at that point try freeing up some additional drive space and see if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Please read forum rules re: "bumping" and descriptive titles. The purpose of this forum is well-described in yours.

Did the suggestions the guys have made thus far make any difference?
Good question!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.