Hard Reset of My Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Macbook, 1G Ram, 60G HD
Mac people smarter than I:

I have a late 2006 Macbook that is starting to show it's age. I have the original disks and the Snow Leopard update. I would like to zero out my Macbook and start over from the beginning. I have a separate hard drive that is used for Time Machine.

Question; If I do this can I recover my pictures, documents, etc piece by piece from Time Machine or will it try to reload the entire "old" contents?

It is running really slow with numerous issues and figured a complete restart would be the way to go.

Thanks.

Macjet

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Mac people smarter than I:

I have a late 2006 Macbook that is starting to show it's age. I have the original disks and the Snow Leopard update. I would like to zero out my Macbook and start over from the beginning. I have a separate hard drive that is used for Time Machine.

Question; If I do this can I recover my pictures, documents, etc piece by piece from Time Machine or will it try to reload the entire "old" contents?

It is running really slow with numerous issues and figured a complete restart would be the way to go.

Thanks.

Macjet

Answer: Yes (I am almost certain) you can do a selective restore (with some work).

The first question I would ask though is how much free space do you have left on your HD? You only show 60GB to start with in your Mac Specs. If you have let your free space get much under 10GB you are going to see a performance hit along with potential for other issues.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Macbook, 1G Ram, 60G HD
Answer: Yes (I am almost certain) you can do a selective restore (with some work).

The first question I would ask though is how much free space do you have left on your HD? You only show 60GB to start with in your Mac Specs. If you have let your free space get much under 10GB you are going to see a performance hit along with potential for other issues.

16.44 GB Available

Is there an easier way? I'm a fairly casual computer guy.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
16.44GB ought to be sufficient. You might want to consider downloading Onyx (free download) and running that. Onyx is good for diagnostic and repair/maintence.

Personally, I would do that before doing a reinstall of the OS. But, no real reason not to do the reinstall if you want to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.