Dissapearing Ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 1.25Ghz Powerbook G4 1.67
Hi everyone,
not been here for a long time, but it's because normally these macs have been so reliable.
Unfortunately though I need some help with a little problem I have.

The machine is a powerbook G4 1.67GHz with the pc 2700 ram.
It has 2 x 512mb ram cards.
However I am only getting 512Mb of ram.

I have taken out the ram and reinserted it which worked for about 2 minutes.
After a lot of playing about I am sure that both of my ram cards work and that the problem is that the lower slot won't recognise ram when it is inserted properly.
However if the ram is put in and left at about a 20 degree angle (not pushed down to the click) it is recognised.
Unfortunatley I can't leave the first ram card sticking out at this angle and fit in the other one, so either way I lose half of my ram.

Any suggestions on how to sort this out would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Elma

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP
I have had a similar experience and would suggest that you make an appointment with at the Genius Bar. they will most likely send it off to replace the logic board. They did so for me despite the warranty was expired. It is a known issue and Apple has stepped up and taken care of many.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Ruh Ruh...Me thinks your logic board isn't acknowledging the lower RAM stick. :(

OP
elma
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh dear it looks like I'm stuffed then.

I'm not the original owner of this machine so I doubt they will be happy to help me.
Also I live more than 100 miles from an apple shop and my local reseller is dreadful. In fact I bought a faulty macbook from them and ended up having to get trading standards to help me get my money back!

Does anyone know if the replacement programme was extended to the uk?
My seriel number is within the range affected but I can't find any mention on the uk site of this fault.

Finally, any idea why it will recognise the stick if I don't insert it properly but won't if I do?

Anyhow, thanks for your help. I'll give apple a ring and see if they will help me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion elma send an email to Apple outlining your problem, your difficulty in getting to a Mac reseller and unawareness of the recall. Stress the fact you received advice from this forum and that yoiu do not want to be involved in a civil claim.

OP
elma
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well Apple couldn't have been better about this.

They've offered to fix the fault with no charge.

I'm stunned to be honest, I really thought they wouldn't.

Happy day for me today!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP
Good to hear, it will most likely be delivered back to you at the end of the week. They were very good in turning mine around for the same repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Well Apple couldn't have been better about this.

They've offered to fix the fault with no charge.

I'm stunned to be honest, I really thought they wouldn't.

Happy day for me today!

Congrats...Seriously...
I have heard so many Apple customer support horror stories and I can only list on my left hand the good Apple customer support stories.

OP
elma
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has almost turned into a horror story now,
new logic board but the problem is still there, although it happens less often.
Also they damaged the screen repairing the logic board.
Apple are sending the laptop to a different repairer now and have promised to fix it to its previous condition asap.

I'm actually impressed, despite the problems, apple have a good attitude toward sorting out the problem and from the communication we have had I truely believe that this will be sorted as painlessly as possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.