"Project Trashbook" (macbook a1181)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dell Latitude E6330, i5 2.7, 4 gig ram, 128 SSD, 13.3 screen
PART 1: Hello guys, I preformed some services for a friend and in payment gave me 2 old computers that were found in the trash!! A Macbook (2.2 C2D, 1g RAM, 160gb HD) and a Powerbook G4 (Titanium). They came with no chargers so I'll be ordering on Ebay real soon. I'm a very knowledgeable person as far as Windows, and most software, but when It comes to Apple, I am kinda lost, the most i worked with a mac is Number/Word Munchers and Oregon Trail and a little hackintoshing. This is my "Hello" message. I'll post more as my "Project Trashbook" continues. Part 2 located in the macbook side of things!

OP
Hatchet92882
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PART 2: I took my macbook to the apple store today. They were super busy due to the 5s and 5c release. I wanted to just use a magsafe plug since i have yet acquired one yet. My goal was to see if it would charge or even power on, it didn't due either! What happened was I plugged it in, the light on the charger went green. When i tried to turn it on and the light faded-out slowly until it was out, and the macbook did nothing. Any clue what could of caused that? Like i said in my welcome message on the switcher forum (PART 1) Macs are new to me so i'm going to need lots of help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
PART 1: Hello guys, I preformed some services for a friend and in payment gave me 2 old computers that were found in the trash!!

...and a little hackintoshing. This is my "Hello" message.

Firstly Welcome to Mac-Forums!:) Second...we do not allow discussions related to "hackintoshing"...so enough said there!;)

Regarding the MacBook Project. It's really hard to say what is wrong. If you get nothing when the computer is plugged in when you press the power button...there's a strong possibility that something on the power board or logic board is fried. Maybe this computer had liquid spilled on it...which seems to be a common source of "dead MacBook's".

With what you discovered so far...and without long term access to a power supply for the MacBook...it's really hard to do anything further.

I also hesitate to even suggest purchasing a power supply of your own...since they are not cheap...and you may be throwing good money at this potentially dead MacBook. If it does have a dead logic board...then this thing is just a doorstop...ready to be sold on e-Bay for parts.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Hatchet92882
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry guy I guess Since I named it the same thing it bundled them in the switcher fourm. Hope you understand and help me out, if your able too. This will be a very slow process due to the fact im disabled ans STILL waiting on my back pay!

OP
Hatchet92882
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Firstly Welcome to Mac-Forums!:) Second...we do not allow discussions related to "hackintoshing"...so enough said there!;)

I also hesitate to even suggest purchasing a power supply of your own...since they are not cheap...and you may be throwing good money at this potentially dead MacBook. If it does have a dead logic board...then this thing is just a doorstop...ready to be sold on e-Bay for parts.

HTH,

- Nick

On Ebay the chargers (not offical Apple brand) are about 20 bucks. I really hate that this may be "Dead" because a use-able Mac are so much money. Is it worth getting a logic board off ebay, about 100ish?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On Ebay the chargers (not offical Apple brand) are about 20 bucks. I really hate that this may be "Dead" because a use-able Mac are so much money. Is it worth getting a logic board off ebay, about 100ish?

If you can get a working logic board via e-Bay (and if the MacBook needs a logic board)...then $100ish would be acceptable. Good logic boards can cost much more (which then makes the project not worth it).

The MacBook you have (if it was working 100%) is worth around $250-$300. So you really want to watch how much you spend getting it working. Of course since you got it for "free" (from the project you did)...your base cost is not too much.

Your MacBook has a logic board and a separate "MagSafe board" (or some folks call this a "DC In Board"). It's possible that the "MagSafe board" is bad & the logic board is good. The magsafe board is MUCH less expensive.

Visit a website called iFixit.com for all sorts of Macintosh repair info (instructions & photos) and parts info:

- iFixit: The free repair manual

A second place to get parts is a place called Powerbookmedic.com:

- Powerbookmedic

Of course e-Bay can be a good place for parts too.

HTH,:)

- Nick

p.s. As I'm sure you are aware. Many times for the home computer repair person...the only way to troubleshoot a bad part...is to replace it with a known good part. So now you have to buy some parts to start swapping. If you're lucky it's the MagSafe board...and not the logic board.:)

OP
Hatchet92882
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can get a working logic board via e-Bay (and if the MacBook needs a logic board)...then $100ish would be acceptable. Good logic boards can cost much more (which then makes the project not worth it).

The MacBook you have (if it was working 100%) is worth around $250-$300. So you really want to watch how much you spend getting it working. Of course since you got it for "free" (from the project you did)...your base cost is not too much.

Your MacBook has a logic board and a separate "MagSafe board" (or some folks call this a "DC In Board"). It's possible that the "MagSafe board" is bad & the logic board is good. The magsafe board is MUCH less expensive.

Visit a website called iFixit.com for all sorts of Macintosh repair info (instructions & photos) and parts info:

- iFixit: The free repair manual

A second place to get parts is a place called Powerbookmedic.com:

- Powerbookmedic

Of course e-Bay can be a good place for parts too.

HTH,:)

- Nick

p.s. As I'm sure you are aware. Many times for the home computer repair person...the only way to troubleshoot a bad part...is to replace it with a known good part. So now you have to buy some parts to start swapping. If you're lucky it's the MagSafe board...and not the logic board.:)

If I had regular access to a power supply, what would you suggest I try to test? To be honest it really bums me out, if you knew me you would know how much I want a mac, but due to my situation (disabled, still waiting on back pay). I don't have the funds to acquire said computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I had regular access to a power supply, what would you suggest I try to test? To be honest it really bums me out, if you knew me you would know how much I want a mac, but due to my situation (disabled, still waiting on back pay). I don't have the funds to acquire said computer.

If you had regular access to a power supply...I would test the least expensive part & the "first link in the chain" in the process.

This just so happens to be the same thing...which is the magsafe board/DC in board.

The "power chain" (in order) is:

1st. Good Power Supply
2nd. Good Magsafe board
3rd. Good logic board

If all three of these components are good...then the computer should power on (assuming there are no cable issues).

If the power supply & magsafe board are good...and the computer still does not power up...then the logic board is most likely bad. Then you have to decide if it's worth it to purchase a good working logic board (used or new).

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Now this doesn't mean that if the computer powers on fine that the display is good (once all the above parts are "good"). The computer can power on fine...but the display could be bad...but then an external monitor can be plugged in as a way to further test things.

But lets hope that the display is good.:)

C

chas_m

I have a suggestion for you: find and join your local Mac User Group. Chances are VERY high that someone in that group has a functioning and well-looked-after MacBook or Mac mini or something that they no longer need due to upgrading that they may sell or give you. Ideally, something from about 2007 on up should be okay, 2009 on up would be even better. I'd personally avoid 2006-earlier unless your needs are INCREDIBLY basic, as such models are now considered security risks.

Good luck!

OP
Hatchet92882
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a suggestion for you: find and join your local Mac User Group. Chances are VERY high that someone in that group has a functioning and well-looked-after MacBook or Mac mini or something that they no longer need due to upgrading that they may sell or give you. Ideally, something from about 2007 on up should be okay, 2009 on up would be even better. I'd personally avoid 2006-earlier unless your needs are INCREDIBLY basic, as such models are now considered security risks.

Good luck!

My current computer is a 2006 Dell Latitude D620, is fine for me (of course newer is better). I'm not a gamer. Most is the games i play are on Facebook or something like that. Most of my time is spent on Facebook, YouTube, Craigslist, etc. Very basic stuff! I'm not a high demanding person. Id be fine with it running Snow Leopard. I'd be basically learning on it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My current computer is a 2006 Dell Latitude D620, is fine for me (of course newer is better). I'm not a gamer. Most is the games i play are on Facebook or something like that. Most of my time is spent on Facebook, YouTube, Craigslist, etc. Very basic stuff! I'm not a high demanding person. Id be fine with it running Snow Leopard. I'd be basically learning on it.

chas_m's suggestion is certainly a great idea...and something to consider. I know that you mentioned some budget issues...so I guess it all depends on:

- your budget
- the cost to get this "dead" MacBook running
- your desire for a working Macintosh computer.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
Hatchet92882
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chas_m's suggestion is certainly a great idea...and something to consider. I know that you mentioned some budget issues...so I guess it all depends on:

- your budget
- the cost to get this "dead" MacBook running
- your desire for a working Macintosh computer.

Good luck,

- Nick

Thanks guys, hope the trashbook is not a lost cause. Was thinking if one of those members might a battery that will work with mine, and i could try it. If it would power up that means the logic board is good, right? Thinking also if it is a lost cause, selling the 2 mac and my current laptop, for a working mac.

C

chas_m

Here's one of the first things you need to know about Macs, given what you say above: while Flash on XP (I'm guessing that's what you're running on a machine of that vintage) is still supported because of the (still) huge userbase, Flash on 2006-era Macs is iffy (because of the PPC/Intel transition, to cut a long story short). You really do want something from 2007 or later that can run, at a minimum, 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or later.

OP
Hatchet92882
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's one of the first things you need to know about Macs, given what you say above: while Flash on XP (I'm guessing that's what you're running on a machine of that vintage) is still supported because of the (still) huge userbase, Flash on 2006-era Macs is iffy (because of the PPC/Intel transition, to cut a long story short). You really do want something from 2007 or later that can run, at a minimum, 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or later.

I'm currently running Windows 7 Ultimate, It runs pretty good. That also explains some stuff.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did some quick searching on e-Bay...and here's a MagSafe/DC-in board for A1181 MacBooks for $14.00 + free shipping:

Brand New Original Apple MacBook A1181 13" for MagSafe DC Power Cable Board Jack | eBay

It's possible with some additional searching you may even be able to find one for less.

If I was trying to get this MacBook working...this is the first part I would get to test things. No guarantees of course...sort of a $14.00 experiment (or less). If you can get this MacBook working for $14 bucks...that would be pretty awesome!:)

- Nick

p.s. Of course you need access to a MacBook power supply as well.

OP
Hatchet92882
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Good luck!
Chas, thank you for that suggestion!!!!! It is turning out great! The logicboard was dead, :Angry:, but that is compleatly fine because he took it home with him and he is repairing it, for free. He had one at home, a black one, with a bad screen. :D:D I'm super-excited! He also talked about a job, helping him out, witch means i could have a job soon! I can't tell you how awesome this is.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
WOW! Excellent. Let us know how it all turns out. Sounds like you found a cool person there!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.