Anybody buy a MBP on Ebay?

Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first MBP and I noticed that on Ebay you can get more for your money. Does anybody have any advice? Sould I stay away from Ebay?
Where should I buy?
Any advice to a new Mac Buyer?
I am looking at a MBP 15 inch and I wanted to know how much difference I would see in 8GB of memory vs 4 GB?
Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
well this may not be much help but i just bought my first mac on ebay.
I bought the 13.3" white macbook (mid2008) model for $500 with free shipping. and 8% bcb. specs were as follows

2.16ghz core2duo (t7400)
2gb ram
120gb hdd
gma950 gfx
etc etc

i think i got a pretty good deal. depending on what your going to use it for, maybe look at the white macbooks as well.

I would have preferred a black one but those run about 700-850ish on ebay.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am looking to buy my first MBP and I noticed that on Ebay you can get more for your money. Does anybody have any advice? Sould I stay away from Ebay?

The bottom line is...some people are comfortable buying a computer on e-Bay, and others are not.

That's pretty much the "take-a-way" message you will get from this thread.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
I agree.

I'd make sure whatever laptop I was purchasing was coming from a seller with TONS of great feedback or one of those "power sellers"...

I can't really purchase anything I can't see in person first.

Reaction score
true, but i got a two year square trade warranty with a code off slickdeals for 70 bucks as well. so im covered...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If he has less than 99% feedback from a minimum of 100 transactions i wouldnt r
trade with them.

Anything higher and you should be OK. And make the hand over of $ trough PayPal and that way you have insurance to cover you if its not the item you thought you bought :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'd NEVER buy a second hand Mac unless it was a refurb from Apple... warranty is included!
If I had a good Mac and I wanted to sell it because I was wanting to upgrade, or for any other reason, I'd sell it, or give it to a friend, or a family member, knowing that it was a good deal or gift!
I wouldn't sell something faulty, dodgy, etc anywhere, but many would!
Negative, maybe!
Would I risk it with electronic equipment....... NO!
IMHO I add!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
I purchased my brand new 17" MBP from eBay. Your best best it to be very careful, and research the sellers history, and even try and contact someone who has already purchased from them.

The seller I bought mine from had very positive feedback, and although showed only a stock photo, which initially had me worried, I was reassured by the seller giving me his telephone number prior to my purchase, and we talked about the transaction.

This is the seller I got mine from..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290385320345

reason I decided to buy from eBay, was not only to save a few €€€, but also it was the most convenient method for me, as I do not own a credit card. I'm a debt card man, choosing to only spend what money I have, and never go into debt for anything. My personal motto is "You Should Never Get In Debt", meaning, you should never get into debt for something, if you want something, and you cannot afford to buy it outright, then save your money until you do;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Where should I buy?
Any advice to a new Mac Buyer?
I am looking at a MBP 15 inch and I wanted to know how much difference I would see in 8GB of memory vs 4 GB?
Thanks for any help.

I don't see anything wrong with ebay. Do your research first. As long as you pay with paypal your covered 100% regardless if the seller has a no return policy or anything like that, Paypal will protect you.

I'd NEVER buy a second hand Mac unless it was a refurb from Apple... warranty is included!
If I had a good Mac and I wanted to sell it because I was wanting to upgrade, or for any other reason, I'd sell it, or give it to a friend, or a family member, knowing that it was a good deal or gift!
I wouldn't sell something faulty, dodgy, etc anywhere, but many would!
Negative, maybe!
Would I risk it with electronic equipment....... NO!
IMHO I add!

Are you a new Mac user?
This comment could only come from someone new to Apple. I may not be the biggest fan boy out there, But I have bought many used Macs all solid devices, Discouraging this guy from a used Mac off ebay just sounds naive.
There's a reason why used Macs have a much higher resale value than their PC counter parts, The brand for one and reliability for another.

Ask any old school Mac user how many 5-10-15 and even 20 year old Macs they still have that are 100% functional.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Are you a new Mac user?
This comment could only come from someone new to Apple. I may not be the biggest fan boy out there, But I have bought many used Macs all solid devices, Discouraging this guy from a used Mac off ebay just sounds naive.
There's a reason why used Macs have a much higher resale value than their PC counter parts, The brand for one and reliability for another.

Ask any old school Mac user how many 5-10-15 and even 20 year old Macs they still have that are 100% functional.

LOL
I'm not about to get into a p***ing contest with you bargsbeer, but a question was asked, and I gave my "opinion"... and if I were to be asking an "old school" Mac user, I'd only have to look in my own direction! Perhaps you may want to take a step back and chill... especially if you are going to throw the word naive around :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
LOL
I'm not about to get into a p***ing contest with you bargsbeer, but a question was asked, and I gave my "opinion"... and if I were to be asking an "old school" Mac user, I'd only have to look in my own direction! Perhaps you may want to take a step back and chill... especially if you are going to throw the word naive around :p

No pissing contest here. But the OP is trying to get their feet wet, Ya know?
Why discourage him or her?

My point is if your going to buy a used computer better a Mac than a Dell,HP or anything other garbage out there.

I'm sorry to say that sounded very naive of you, Not meant to be vicious or anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
The real reason they resell higher than comparable notebooks is because of that nice little Apple symbol on the notebook.

Honestly, the operating system is great but the hardware is not all that special... There are other better specced computer out there than Macs, but the operating system that is on them is what makes them garbage.

To the OP:
I would check out the refurbished section on the Apple website and see if there is a Mac you would like. There have been the new MacBooks going for 850 on their at one point.

And if you are going to buy on Ebay, make sure - as other people said - that the seller has great feedback and that you buy through PayPal (although I think that's mandatory).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As pigoo3 pointed out, you'll find a mix on this question. I'm basically with 6string on this question... Nope, no one's getting my money for any computer on ebay. It's too easy to get a refurb from Apple with a warranty. Still too much money, craigslist is next where you can at least go turn it on, play with it and check it out for yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As pigoo3 pointed out, you'll find a mix on this question. I'm basically with 6string on this question... Nope, no one's getting my money for any computer on ebay. It's too easy to get a refurb from Apple with a warranty. Still too much money, craigslist is next where you can at least go turn it on, play with it and check it out for yourself.

Lets not forget, There are many lightly used Macbooks on Ebay that still have Apple care or that are within their first year of warranty.

Macs are solid Machines, I have bought plenty of them most with no warranty and so have many others with no problems or need for warranty.

To each his own. Not trying to start heat.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Basically the OP is looking for opinions regarding "Should they or shouldn't they purchase a computer on e-Bay".

Some folks said "sure no problem"...and some folks said "no way"!...exactly the way this sort of thread usually plays out!;)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nevermind - pigoo3 said it best already.

Reaction score
I purchased my brand new 17" MBP from eBay. Your best best it to be very careful, and research the sellers history, and even try and contact someone who has already purchased from them.

The seller I bought mine from had very positive feedback, and although showed only a stock photo, which initially had me worried, I was reassured by the seller giving me his telephone number prior to my purchase, and we talked about the transaction.

This is the seller I got mine from..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290385320345

reason I decided to buy from eBay, was not only to save a few €€€, but also it was the most convenient method for me, as I do not own a credit card. I'm a debt card man, choosing to only spend what money I have, and never go into debt for anything. My personal motto is "You Should Never Get In Debt", meaning, you should never get into debt for something, if you want something, and you cannot afford to buy it outright, then save your money until you do;)

hahahaha so do you not own a car or house? aren't you concerned with having no credit? did you not take out school loans? I love the people that say credit is soooo bad for you, it makes me chuckle...

and to the OP, dont listen to these clowns...buying on ebay is perfectly safe. get a squaretrade warranty if you want. they are relatively cheap. not everyone can afford to drop 2k on a computer, especially their first mac.

C

chas_m

Well, saying "Ebay is perfectly safe" is at least as silly as those saying its nothing but a den of thieves.

Ebay is most definitely NOT "perfectly safe," but using some common sense and sticking to the established "rules of the house" will usually result in a good buying experience.

I can say most definitively that's it's no longer a very good SELLING experience, but from the buyer's POV its still quite worthwhile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hahahaha so do you not own a car or house? aren't you concerned with having no credit? did you not take out school loans? I love the people that say credit is soooo bad for you, it makes me chuckle...

and to the OP, dont listen to these clowns...buying on ebay is perfectly safe. get a squaretrade warranty if you want. they are relatively cheap. not everyone can afford to drop 2k on a computer, especially their first mac.

ddehr026,
You are ........ Well, you know what you are!
Don't disrespect anyone here or elsewhere for their take on things!
Perhaps you should leave this forum and ....... infact...... just leave this forum!!!

Reaction score
haha trust me, I am leaving this forum.

I bought my first macbook and thought I would sign up here and check it out, but everyone here (especially mods like yourself) are so full of themselves and their opinions, its quite ridiculous. I see numerous threads including this one that just get hijacked by mods like you and the poor op cant even get a honest answer because all you want to blare about is how awesome you are that you can buy your mac from apple.

lighten up, its a forum, your not the law.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.