New User

Reaction score
Hey, Just got a macbook pro and I'm fairly new to it. Been a long time Linux/Windows user and was wondering a couple things.

Basically I've already connected to my windows computer via smb which was easy enough, my main question relates to applications themselves. By simply dragging an application out of the 'applications' folder does that uninstall it? I'd imagine several small kb files would be left over elsewhere on the machine or do they get removed as well?

Also, can I leave my macbook pro on all night? Connected to a wall of course via the charger, or is this not recommended due to heat. I suppose Sleep is an option? By using sleep will this shut down apps such as Adium etc?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Basically I've already connected to my windows computer via smb which was easy enough, my main question relates to applications themselves. By simply dragging an application out of the 'applications' folder does that uninstall it? I'd imagine several small kb files would be left over elsewhere on the machine or do they get removed as well?

Dragging the App. to a different location will not delete it (unless that location is the Trash:D)... If the App.'s icon s already in the Dock, you'll have to re-do that, as the path will now be changed...

The extra files would be .plist files... If you are trying to delete the App... I use Clean App.

Reaction score
If you right-click an application icon and choose "Show Package Contents," you'll see the icon is nothing more than a folder full of program. So most of the app would disappear if you trash it. If you drag it to another folder, the pathway might screw up any updates that look for it in the Applications folder.

There are a few other files that would be left kicking around if you trash it, such as text files consisting of its preferences — the app's defaults or changes you made to them.

You can find these files by running a search using the app's name and trashing them. There's at least one app-removal program, AppZapper, that claims to find these. But why pay for that when it's nothing more than a stripped-down search program?

Some very complicated apps that use double-click intallers might have uninstallers, as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome to Mac-Forums and Congrats on the Mac!!!

OP
T
Reaction score
right right, I've been dragging to the trash.

and what about the macbook on overnight

thanks =)

Reaction score
I don't know much about laptops so I'd probably give you the wrong info. My quick and dirty but safer response would be to suggest clicking on the search button, then choosing Advanced Search and typing laptop overnight in the Keyword blank and leaving the search default on Threads. You'd probably find everything you need to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
When I use my Macbook, mostly when on travel, I rarely turn it off. You can use sleep mode if you like, but either way you should be ok to leave it on if it is sitting on a desk or table, even with the cover closed. If you are going to put it into a case of any kind, shut it down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
In the year that I have had my Ibook its probably been shutdown completely 14-15 times and restarted only when necessary. I don't know about macbooks but my Ibook seems to do fine running all the time. Usually when not in use its in sleep mode.

Reaction score
It'll be fine leaving it on overnight.. I've kept mine on overnight for the majority of the time that i've owned it since about 2 weeks ago.

I like to unplug the battery about half an hour after the battery reaches 100%. If you keep the charger plugged in on a Lithium Ion battery it decreases battery life. Do a google search for Lithium Ion battery care and theres a publication by stanford which I've been using for all my cellphones/notebooks/digital camera etc...

Hope you enjoyed your switch as much as i did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.