Can the 13inch macbook(late 07) fan be upgraded?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB
Is there a way to upgrade the fan in this the Macbook model no. a1181?
What are the normal temperatures for this laptop?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Upgraded? Not sure what you mean by that...

You can replace them...if you can find the same model parts.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB
Upgraded? Not sure what you mean by that...

You can replace them...if you can find the same model parts.

I mean like is there another company that makes theses fans that will keep the mac cooler.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It's a very small form factor, with a fast processor. This will mean heat. I'm not sure you're going to fit any kind of 'upgraded' fan in there. There's a whole bunch of general obsession with heat these days. Ask yourself this. Are your current fans running at maximum speed all the time?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a very small form factor, with a fast processor. This will mean heat. I'm not sure you're going to fit any kind of 'upgraded' fan in there. There's a whole bunch of general obsession with heat these days. Ask yourself this. Are your current fans running at maximum speed all the time?

They'er not but just wondering if there was another option besides stock fans. I'm considering replacing the thermal paste under the cpu and gpu how much of a change would that maybe get me? my mac runs anywhere from 47 Celsius to 75 Celsius

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
40-60 idling is not out of the norm. 75 isn't either. Go over 90 and it's starting to get hot. I believe thermal shutdown will start somewhere around 95. In short, these systems are hot ;)

As a point of reference.. Currently, idling along with Firefox open.. my unibody 2011 macbook pro's CPU is running at 67ºc .. oh it's about 26ºc in the room I'm in. Ambient temps play into these ranges quite a bit as well.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
40-60 idling is not out of the norm. 75 isn't either. Go over 90 and it's starting to get hot. I believe thermal shutdown will start somewhere around 95. In short, these systems are hot ;)

As a point of reference.. Currently, idling along with Firefox open.. my unibody 2011 macbook pro's CPU is running at 67ºc .. oh it's about 26ºc in the room I'm in. Ambient temps play into these ranges quite a bit as well.

Thanks lol now i dont feel bad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Come to think of it, I need to go get my laptop stand.. this is getting uncomfortable ;)

Oh and in case anyone's wondering if these things actually do anything? Just getting this thing off my lap and onto it's stand (just an iLap) temps dropped 10ºc.. and still dropping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
I dont know if anyone makes fans that will fit that are rated at a higher RPM than the stock fans but I think there are programs you can download to manually adjust the speed if you want them to run faster.

The thermal paste that apple uses is pretty decent so I dont know if you will notice much of a difference there.

Most people will tell you not to worry about this though. Macbooks get hot and they have a lot of controls built in so they dont harm themselves.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont know if anyone makes fans that will fit that are rated at a higher RPM than the stock fans but I think there are programs you can download to manually adjust the speed if you want them to run faster.

The thermal paste that apple uses is pretty decent so I dont know if you will notice much of a difference there.

Most people will tell you not to worry about this though. Macbooks get hot and they have a lot of controls built in so they dont harm themselves.

Yeah but my mac was made in 07 lol i would hope to see a difference

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Yeah but my mac was made in 07 lol i would hope to see a difference

Truth wasent thinking of the age but I still wouldent expect a huge difference. Just cracking it open and cleaning out the dust will probobly do more. Get something good like Arctic silver or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Is there a way to upgrade the fan in this the Macbook model no. a1181?
What are the normal temperatures for this laptop?
Technically, the answer is yes. There really is nothing out of the ordinary with that fan. The only problem is that I can't find one that is specifically made to run better than the stock one. They have copies of it, but nothing worth "upgrading." However, you can most certainly swap them out for whatever you wanted if it failed...changing it out isn't a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Technically, the answer is yes. There really is nothing out of the ordinary with that fan. The only problem is that I can't find one that is specifically made to run better than the stock one. They have copies of it, but nothing worth "upgrading." However, you can most certainly swap them out for whatever you wanted if it failed...changing it out isn't a problem.
Yea, it's going to be difficult to find a fan with a design that's so much better that it'll yield more than a small percentage more airflow in the same form factor. Now, if your fans are failing it would be worth replacement. Cleaning out the insides would be a good first start though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.