Rant.

Reaction score
Tonight I purchased my first iPhone at my local At&t, just speaking of at&t makes me wonder why I'm not ranting about them. But anyways, I get the phone and immediately get on iTunes to register this thing. It asks some basics, are you a new customer or already a customer, and what not. It starts to ask me for my number, last 4 social security digits, and billing zip code. After about 5 tries of it not going through, I decided to call at&t. They say my zip code isn't 27511, but now its 27604 or something along those lines. So I'm just like whatever I just want to get this registration over with. Now it is asking for my iTunes username and password, do I look like I buy iTunes over priced music?? No, I do not. The guy tells me "Apple is updating there iTunes in the southern region", meaning Flordia, North Carolina, etc. So basically I have an iPhone which I won't be able to use until Monday, THANK YOU ****ING APPLE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz CD 2 GB RAM, 23" Samsung HDTV/Monitor , JBL Creature II, Apple Xbox 360,
chill..... what do you expect apple to do? never update their iTunes so that people won't have to ever wait to register their iPhones? god ****... 3 days just think you didnt buy it today ffs...

OP
Im Too Blue
Reaction score
chill..... what do you expect apple to do? never update their iTunes so that people won't have to ever wait to register their iPhones? god ****... 3 days just think you didnt buy it today ffs...

or... NOT. I just paid $400 for an apple product, why should I have to wait until Monday. AT&T could of easily of told me I wouldn't be able to register the phone today, tomorrow, or the next day. But no, they sold me a product which I cannot use. This is gay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz (Aluminum)
ATT stinks... I stopped using them years ago... why on earth did apple choose them?

$400 phone? iPass... not for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
especially when you can't even use it, till monday. :(

That really sucks. The most exciting part of a new gadget is unboxing, setting it up and using it. I hate waiting for the battery to charge, I would be going out of my mind.

If it helps, us Canadian can't get them at all. (yes, I know unlocked but at 50$ a mb for data not a great option.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Get over it, things happen. You're not the only one that their updating of the store effects.

But I have a question for you.... why do you have to wait until Monday? The store should be back up in a few hours...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
I purchased mine online and paid the extra for overnight.I have been a cingular customer for over 5 years now.at&t just bought out Cingular.As Cingular had bought out at&t because of their S***y service.Speaking as a Cingular Rep(Part time)That att Does have its problems about customer support.Seeing that the over abundance of new customers -att is still not able to handle all the orders at one time.Sorry for your slow process but i would just wait it out.You could even call att and b***h about the situation and i can almost assure you that they will asset some sort of credit to your account IF YOU THROW UP ENOUGH FUEL!Trust me on this one.But you did not hear it from me!you should be able to receive a 2 month credit for your data plan.Meaning no pay for 2 months.
Regards

OP
Im Too Blue
Reaction score
Get over it, things happen. You're not the only one that their updating of the store effects.

But I have a question for you.... why do you have to wait until Monday? The store should be back up in a few hours...

How about you pay $400 for a product, don't use it for 3 days, and then you can tell me to get over it. It is ridiculous that they would not warn me about this, before they decide to sell me it.

The guy from AT&T said it wouldn't be up until monday, but I should just try everyday to make sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
ATT stinks... I stopped using them years ago... why on earth did apple choose them?

$400 phone? iPass... not for me.

apple used att as att will give them money from the calls your make on your iphone and att let apple change there network e.g buy contract on itunes not in store and changes like visual voicemail

just be glad you can buy one and use it i am in the u.k if i want an iphone i have to buy it from ebay with stupid mark up and loads of shipping then unlock it my self use it untill apple lock it back up agen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Sounds like the next two years will be **** for you. I took my iPhone in today for the second time. They gave me a new one, no questions asked. I also got the $100 rebate yesterday. If that's not exceptional customer service, I would love to know what is. I've also had huge problems with AT&T (They ruined my credit score for services that I never got.) I got the iPhone and they're service has been great. I would agree that their service is hit and miss though.
Maybe the problem lies elsewhere, i.e., you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like the next two years will be **** for you. I took my iPhone in today for the second time. They gave me a new one, no questions asked. I also got the $100 rebate yesterday. If that's not exceptional customer service, I would love to know what is. I've also had huge problems with AT&T (They ruined my credit score for services that I never got.) I got the iPhone and they're service has been great. I would agree that their service is hit and miss though.
Maybe the problem lies elsewhere, i.e., you.
Hey friend!Thanks for your previous advice about the iMac a while back...But yes it is hit and miss with att.Before i became in tuned with Cingular,att tried to run my credit amok!See there is something that most do not know about signing that "2-year agreement"READ THE FINE PRINT!DO NOT SIGN WITHOUT READING THE INFORMATION!Even if it takes you 2 hours!read all of the fine print!You do not have to tie into a 2 year agreement to have full service!I learned this clause after purchasing a Motorola STARTAC (when they first came out with the price tag of 900.00)I got the phone dirt cheap but when i canceled early and paid the 200.00 early fee they were still charging me,because they considered me as still not owning the merchandise until the full term of the 2 years was up!There is a clause where you can sign a contract to cancel without the outlandish cancellation fees that will incur if you cancel services before the 2 years is up.They will not tell you this because the company pushes sales personal as well as over the phone reps that this is your only option which is totally untrue.You can actually have a contract where you do not have to tie into 2 years and where if you cancel early you are not hit with the over abundance of bs fees.My wife and i are on a month to month plan(NOT PREPAID BUT ACTUAL FULL SERVICE!).If we choose not to continue payment at anytime we do not incur the outlandish fees that they impose!
And the fault does fall on the person whom is purchasing the mobile.They can sometimes take up to 5 days to actually activate your services,UNLESS YOU GRAB THE SITUATION BY THE BALLS AND USE A LITTLE BRUTE FORCE!Verbally of course.
Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
How about you pay $400 for a product, don't use it for 3 days, and then you can tell me to get over it. It is ridiculous that they would not warn me about this, before they decide to sell me it.

The guy from AT&T said it wouldn't be up until monday, but I should just try everyday to make sure.

I waited 2 months from the date it was released to when my Verizon contract ended, then paid $600 for it and only got 100 back. So I still paid 100 more than you did.

Your second line shows that they warned you about it, if the guy told you it wouldn't be up until Monday you were warned. Go do something, there's only one day left.

Reaction score
I am going to buy one today if I have the time. I live in florida so I might be affected. I am going to buy two phones. Do I care if I have to wait till monday. No! If it happens it happens. There are other phones for emergencies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am going to buy one today if I have the time. I live in florida so I might be affected. I am going to buy two phones. Do I care if I have to wait till monday. No! If it happens it happens. There are other phones for emergencies.
I as well live in Florida.If you order online then you shouldnt have a problem.If you run into some bs problems email me: [email protected] and i would be more than glad to help you out.If you are a pre existing Cingular/ATT customer there are LOOP HOLES to the situation!trust me!If you are not i can give you some insight on how to avoid the 2 year contract.As far as coverage.The best thing to do is purchase a sim card(Get a prepaid 3G sim card from ebay.Total you will pay is 6.00 with a $10.00 credit)This sim card you can make it prepaid or make it a full service sim card.I actually disposed of the ATT sim card that was in the device.I would rather have my 3G sim card.There is proven reports that the iPhone has the following networks within the depths of the system:
ATT
Cingular
Vodaphone
T-Mobile.
Saying this means that in the future with firmware upgrades that this iphone will be 3G capable after the updates/upgrades.This you can take my word on and me saying it!No i do not work for apple or know anyone from apple.I just know MOBILE PHONES!With the network system reading the following:
Cingular is 3G ready!
T-mobile is 3G ready!
Vodaphone-unsure because i never used their services
ATT will never be 3G as far as my resources and knowledge know of .
But i know for a fact that if you settle for the att card that is supplied then when 3G is available the Sim card will actually have to revert to the Cingular network(which was previously bought back by att).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Dude, you can't enable a hardware feature via firmware when the hardware ISN'T THERE. Yes, the iPhone will have firmware updates. Yes, we will see new features. But 3G is NOT one of them. The hardware is simply not in the phone. This has been confirmed by Steve Jobs himself, along with many others who have ripped the thing apart.

And from your last statements, it really doesn't look like you know mobile carriers at all. For starters, Cingular is now AT&T. So if Cingular has 3G, that means AT&T now has it. So saying AT&t will never have 3G is just plain ignorant. Another point is that T-Mobile, in the United States, does NOT have a 3G network and won't for quite some time. Now if you're referring to the T-Mobile in Europe, that's a whole different matter.

Please stop spreading useless information and false hopes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Dude, you can't enable a hardware feature via firmware when the hardware ISN'T THERE. Yes, the iPhone will have firmware updates. Yes, we will see new features. But 3G is NOT one of them. The hardware is simply not in the phone. This has been confirmed by Steve Jobs himself, along with many others who have ripped the thing apart.

And from your last statements, it really doesn't look like you know mobile carriers at all. For starters, Cingular is now AT&T. So if Cingular has 3G, that means AT&T now has it. So saying AT&t will never have 3G is just plain ignorant. Another point is that T-Mobile, in the United States, does NOT have a 3G network and won't for quite some time. Now if you're referring to the T-Mobile in Europe, that's a whole different matter.

Please stop spreading useless information and false hopes.
To rip you 1.First of all ATT just re-PURCHASED Cingular a little over a 1 1/2 -2months ago.The hardware IS IN THE PHONE!Actually its not the phone its the software.I am an IT Tech and have been a cingular rep for OVER 5 YEARS.ATT will not offer the 3G services because Cingular currently has the funtion.Its the SIM CARD!Duhh(As far as 3G networking being apart of the mobile!).If you have a 64K sim then you WILL NEVER HAVE 3G SERVICE!T-Mobile in Europe(which i have been to several times)Does offer the service which will be here in the 2nd quarter of 2008....This is a realm you do not want to enter with me.ATT WILL NEVER HAVE 3G...Remember that.The service of 3G is provided by Cingular.Do me a favor and USE GOOGLE!Or talk to a REP ,like myself who is a VET of mobile phones and then come back and tell me something new.
64K SIM CARD-never 3G capable(250 contact numbers)
3G SIM CARD-(500 contact numbers)Already ready just needs the correct mobile with the correct software/firmware updates....you are out of your league stepping to me about mobile phones buddy...hate to tell you.AS STATED IF YOU DO CONNECT TO A 3G NETWORK IT WILL NOT SAY ATT(AND YOUR CURRENT 64K SIM CARD WONT WORK!PERIOD FOR 3G WHEN ITS AVAILABLE!)(GUESS I GOT TO PUT THIS IN LA MANS TERMS)BUT INTURN SAY CINGULAR...PERIOD! Check my mobile itinerary and the come with something more tangible then your non knowledgeable assumptions on a realm which you know NOTHING ABOUT!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the AT&T SIM in the iPhone is marked "AT&T 3G" with the little fireball thing.

Trust me. The SkyWorks signal amplifier in it is a SKY77340, which is described by SkyWorks as a GSM/EDGE Power Amplifier.

A person who works for AT&T would know that it is not SIM card dependent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Wow, it takes like 7 readings to get even an inkling of what you are saying. Perhaps the reason people shouldn't "step on your turf" isn't because we don't know better, it's because nobody knows what you're saying.

Like iRye said, 3G capabilities are hardware based. If you don't have an antenna that can run at 3G speeds, no amount of software is going to change that. Let me put it in different terms. If you have a CoreDuo Macbook, no matter how many times you run the 802.11n enabler, you will never be able to run at 802.11n speeds because your Airport card is only rated for a max of 802.11g. No kind of software will magically change it to 802.11n. If it is still difficult for you to understand that the iPhone, as it currently stands, will never have 3G capabilities, you're beyond hope.

Oh, and btw, I have a Cingular 8525 that uses an AT&T SIM card that runs on AT&T's 3G network. The screen said AT&T when connected to the 3G network, not Cingular.

And here's another kicker for you. AT&T and Cingular are the same company. There's no such thing as "using Cingular's network" as opposed to "using AT&T's network". It's the same thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.