Aperture 2.0, the Nikon D300 and RAW compression settings

Reaction score
Hello,

I just received my copy of Aperture 2.0. Upgraded it to the latest version (forget which). And will be shooting in RAW for the first time. And would like to know which compression setting I should set my D300 to to work with the Aperture 2.0 RAW converter. As I was told not all modes in all DSLR's work with all converters.

The D300, as D300 users should know, has 3 options. "Lossless" (loose 20-40% of data with no loss in image quality, the default), "compressed" (loose 40-50% with noticeable loss in image quality) and "uncompressed" (no compression at all, RAW file saved in it's entirety as it was shot).

Recommendations? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I shoot uncompressed, works fine in Aperture 2. I really don't see a lot of need for compression with the availability of CF storage in multi-GB ranges.

OP
D
Reaction score
I shoot uncompressed, works fine in Aperture 2. I really don't see a lot of need for compression with the availability of CF storage in multi-GB ranges.

Thanks for posting.

I take it you're a D300 owner too. Roughly how big are the file sizes uncompressed? And have you tried "lossless" while using Aperture 2.0? Why aren't you shooting in "lossless"? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
I shoot RAW with my canon 20D and the RAW files are about 9MB, using Lightroom to import and edit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
I would shoot in RAW if I could notice any difference!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
i dont think that you notice a difference, but it is easier to edit and manipulate to your standards and how you like things. there is an advantage over JPEG

OP
D
Reaction score
I haven't shot in RAW yet but supposedly you DO see a difference in detail and color range in prints. You (we) probably wouldn't see much if any difference on the monitor. Though I wonder...if we properly calibrate our monitors (most of us don't) would we not see a difference? Hmmm...

Any how if one poster says he can use "uncompressed" with Aperture 2.0 without problems then it's likely there would be no problems in the "lossless" setting. Has this been your experience too? Any one can comment of course. :)

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
You WONT see a difference by shooting RAW, but dang there is a massive difference when it comes to post processing them, RAW is much more forgiving allowing you to rescue files that would otherwise be deleted.

For a real world example of what i mean see this thread in my blog.
http://derekclegg.net/blog/?cat=8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
You WONT see a difference by shooting RAW, but dang there is a massive difference when it comes to post processing them, RAW is much more forgiving allowing you to rescue files that would otherwise be deleted.

For a real world example of what i mean see this thread in my blog.
http://derekclegg.net/blog/?cat=8
hmmm, that was very clarifying, thanks!
i have yet to shoot in raw (i have yet to shoot at all, actually), and i was wondering if i was going to notice any difference...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 13.3" 2.13ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb SDRAM 160gb HD
Usually I won't see any difference between Raw and shooting Jpg but if I look closely in my highlights I do see color aberrations more in the Jpgs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.