Help Help Help Help Help!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
Ok, my computer screen isn't working. It was fine this morning. After class, I opened it up to awaken it and the screen didn't come on. I know the computer is running, because when I hit the power button, it chimes and after it loads I can hear the little chirp when I hit the volume button. When this first happened, I was trying everything your average idiot would try. At one point, I was pushing down on the casing (near the track pad) and the screen came on, flickered a bunch of crazy lines across the screen, and then stopped. I thought maybe my battery contacts weren't together, so I pulled out the battery made sure they were clean and all. When I put the battery back in and started it, it loaded up fine. Then I put it back to sleep by closing the lid and went to my next class. Now it is doing it again and I can't get the screen to work. I don't know if this helps you figure out my problem, but the apple on the back doesn't light up either.

Thanks,
Damien

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Might be a logic board problem, but I'm not sure.

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the little shiny piece of metal in the battery compartment? Cuz when I pushed that, the screen started working again...Now it is working fine. Also of note, if I push that while the computer is on, it causes the screen to do its funny little dance again and then the computer freezes.

~Damien

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now it's doing it again...

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been reading on apple's website looking for answers and it mentioned reseting the PMU. Do you think this could help? Is it a big deal? It mentions that it will uninstall any RAM disc. I don't know what that means.

~Damien

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How accurate is the hardware test CD? It tested the logic board and said it is fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
I've been reading on apple's website looking for answers and it mentioned reseting the PMU. Do you think this could help? Is it a big deal? It mentions that it will uninstall any RAM disc. I don't know what that means.

~Damien

it will help a lot, you dont have to worry about it clearing your ram disk or whatever it mentions because if you dont know what it is you dont have one
-chris

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well.......

It certainly didn't help any. Is it normal to be able to push firmly on the casing around the track pad and have it function as a mouse click? I can. I figured out that the shiny thing I mentioned earlier is part of the track pad as seen from below. Any time I press the mouse button or exert any pressure at all on the casing in front of the keyboard, the screen is filled with all sorts of lines and colors and the computer freezes. This even includes picking it up, because that exerts a tiny amount of pressure on the sensor under the track pad. What the heck is wrong with my computer? It was absolutely fine this morning! I just bought it on eBay less than 2 months ago. I'm really bummed.

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could this be the logic board issue that mac is repairing for free? I checked my serial number. As long as the coverage applies to computers that have changed ownership, I still have 4 days of coverage left.

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I called Apple today, and they feel that the problem is most likely the logic board. Given my serial number, I am still eligible (barely) for free repair. So, hopefully my problem is the component failure that is covered.

~Damien

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got my iBook back today from Apple and it is all better. Apparently, it was the logic board problem the G3 iBooks are infamous for. Just thought I'd share my good news with you all.

~Damien

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
wow grats on being within the 4 day window

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.