iMac Shutdown

Reaction score
I am new to apple (switched from windows) and when I try to shutdown I get the message that Mail is open and stopping shutdown however it is not open!! I get round this by constantly retrying etc until the computer shuts down however this is frustrating as the machine is less than 2 weeks old and I was promised 'a brave new world of computing'. Any help gratefully received but not to much jargon as I am in my late 60's and just a wee bit afraid of the machine right now

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am new to apple (switched from windows) and when I try to shutdown I get the message that Mail is open and stopping shutdown however it is not open!! I get round this by constantly retrying etc until the computer shuts down however this is frustrating as the machine is less than 2 weeks old and I was promised 'a brave new world of computing'. Any help gratefully received but not to much jargon as I am in my late 60's and just a wee bit afraid of the machine right now

It's very possible that "Mail" may still be open...even if you think that you closed/quit it.

If (for example) you are "closing" Mail by clicking on the red "close window" dot in the upper left of the Mail window...this only closes the mail window...it does not quit the program.

To double check if a program is still open before you decide to shut down the computer...go to the "dock"...and if a program is still open...there will be a little glowing spot/dot below the program's icon in the dock.

To close any programs...either go to the drop-down menu's and select "Quit"...or use the shortcut...command + q keys (command key is the one that looks like a 4-leaf clover).

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
As a new mac user you may find one of the tutors for Mountain Lion, available from the App Store to be very helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
That's odd, Mail is always running and when I shut down the computer there is never a problem.

I have Mail set in Preferences to always run (open at log in).

C

chas_m

dotdotdot: the OP may have the mail set to check so frequently that it is in effect always busy. That would certainly cause that issue.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Even if it's not set to check frequently, Mail can cause this problem.

I've had it as a recurring problem across multiple Macs over the years.
If Mail is in the process of checking for/downloading new mail when you attempt to shut down, it will cancel the shutdown.

Head into Mail - Preferences - General - and change the time frame of how often it checks for new mail - changed mine a long time ago to 1 hour - that pretty well takes care of it.

I still try to remember to quit Mail prior to shut down.

For me, the problem has also varied from release to release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
dotdotdot: the OP may have the mail set to check so frequently that it is in effect always busy. That would certainly cause that issue.

Interesting. I just looked, mine is set check every minute.

Maybe when he tries to shut down it, Mail is in the process of downloading a (large?) message. In my case, I hardly get any emails, and they're rarely large, so it's conceivable
that every single time I shut it own there are no pending emails. Still, you'd think that his Mac would be smart enough to just automatically delay the shut down without annoying the user with a message.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.