iTunes: PC, Mac, and a NAS

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I have a home network with a PC (wired), a MBP (wireless), and a NAS (Wired). Currently my iTunes library is on my Mac.

I plan to get an Apple TV (or something like it) to play movies on my TV from iTunes. Since my wife likes to watch movies while I'm away, keeping my iTunes library on my MBP would not work. What makes the most sense to me is to move the iTunes library to the NAS, and install iTunes on my PC to use it as the source for the Apple TV. Here's where I have questions...

My MBP is my main computer...PC is for my wife. Does it make more sense for the MBP to connect to the NAS iTunes folder directly or via the PC using home sharing? How does that choice impact how music/movie downloads will be added to the library of the other computer?

Just to add to the confusion, when I take my MBP on the road, I realize I'll lose access to the NAS iTunes folder regardless of how I connected...so I'm thinking that if I want to take some movies with me, I should create a new library on my mac, and import the movies I want into it. Since Macs consolidate libraries by default, I assume that will make a copy of the movie on my mac (and not move it)? Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You can turn off the option to auto copy anything added to iTunes… it's right there in the preferences, under Advanced. So store everything on the NAS. And store it on your MBP too. You already have everything on it now if I'm reading this right and it only makes sense to keep a backup anyway.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
What does that do for me? If I asdd a movie stored on the NAS, that's what I want to happen...I'm confused

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What does that do for me? If I asdd a movie stored on the NAS, that's what I want to happen...I'm confused

Then exactly how do you plan to take your movies with you?

Look…. disable the option as I suggested on your wife's PC in iTunes and do the same on your MacBook. Now all your media is on the NAS exclusively.

When you travel… launch iTunes by holding down the OPTION key. You will be prompted to pick or create an iTunes library. Make a new one names TRAVEL. Now you have a new Library separate from the regular one. Drag the movies you want to travel with and add them into iTunes while you are using this TRAVEL library you just made. The defaults of "copy to iTunes folder" will apply, so they will copy to your MacBook.

Now go on your trip and watch your movies. When you get back, don't forget to change back to your regular iTunes library by holding down the OPTION key again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.