• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

HP Board made worst personnel decision since Apple Board idiots fired Steve Jobs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Larry Ellison no less....

Well, I am sure some other company will snap him up, their loss. They were obviously looking for any excuse to get rid of him, for whatever reason....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Larry Ellison no less....

Well, I am sure some other company will snap him up, their loss. They were obviously looking for any excuse to get rid of him, for whatever reason....

Good point, Talk about a hatchet job with the desperate expense report excuse. I agree someone had it out for him. Larry Ellison' statement was well said. I never owned a HP product nor did I plan on it, But they seemed to be gaining popularity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What I'm wondering is why in the world is Steve Ballmer still the CEO when MSFT has really plummeted since he took over??? Larry will find a new job real quick.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I'm wondering is why in the world is Steve Ballmer still the CEO when MSFT has really plummeted since he took over??? Larry will find a new job real quick.

It's kind of hard to fire the guy who was Bill Gates' room mate at Harvard (along with Paul Allen). :p BTW, all three are Billionaires.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Good point, Talk about a hatchet job with the desperate expense report excuse. I agree someone had it out for him. Larry Ellison' statement was well said. I never owned a HP product nor did I plan on it, But they seemed to be gaining popularity.

Seriously, guys? HP laptops have a higher failure rate over 3 years than any other laptop manufacturer. 25.6% failure rate over 3 years, and apparently the guy was a total douche. Let him be fired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Seriously, guys? HP laptops have the highest failure rate over 3 years than any other laptop manufacturer. 25.6% failure rate over 3 years, and apparently the guy was a total douche. Let him be fired.

Laptop-Reliability Study Highlights the Most Sturdy Laptop Makers

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I don't totally agree on the credibility of that article you just linked. It is missing a lot of information. But even if HP's were in the randge of 15%-20% that's still rather bad. That's at least 1 in 6 to 1 in 4 at 25% failure rate. And I don't care if it's a sticker came off and left too much glue on the case or if it is a dead drive or pixel. They really need to make a product that lasts longer before needing to be repaired.

And you can say what about the idiot factor. Of people who don't know how to look after a windows/linux laptop. HP should be aware of these kind of people and make the hardware idiot proof for a few years at least. And if those numbers are to believed (which I find hard to do) then even Apple's number is way to high for my liking. Sure Apple have Apple care which deals with all of the issues. But for me a better longer lasting product always makes more revenue then having to continually fix poorly made ones.

Reaction score
Seriously, guys? HP laptops have the highest failure rate over 3 years than any other laptop manufacturer. 25.6% failure rate over 3 years, and apparently the guy was a total douche. Let him be fired.

Laptop-Reliability Study Highlights the Most Sturdy Laptop Makers

I totally disagree with this. Toshiba laptops appear to be at the low end of the spectrum in that graph and I can definitely say that I believe them to have the poorest build quality of all the major manufacturers and VERY frequently fail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I've actually loved my HP computers at the house. They've been incredibly reliable and well-built, and I've had zero problems as long as hardware is concerned. Not a big fan of HP software center, however.

Considering the were windows machines, they ran like a well-oiled machine. One is a linux machine, now, and it runs even better.

Reaction score
The last HP (subsequently Compaq) product I've owned- the battery failed. The replacement battery failed. The touchpad had bad drivers (and updating those drivers caused a blue screen)- all on a Vista machine.

The last HP I knew in my house that ran for the longest time was a heavyweight 15" Pavilion, light lavendar/blue color. It had a 3.06 GHz Intel Pentium (if my memory serves me correctly) and ran XP. Used that laptop to its eventual death (the power module on the back of the motherboard lost its soldering, rendering the thing useless- the second motherboard lost its soldering after three weeks, the first board- after six years). Dad has since replaced it twice with two Dells and an Acer.

Me, I went to the Mac because I needed a computer that ran better and put me in a peaceful state of mind when I used it. (Plus, these forums have eased my mind about problems that I normally worried about on Windows).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Ellison on Hurd: HP Board made worst personnel decision since Apple Board idiots fired Steve Jobs

MacDailyNews - Ellison on Hurd: HP Board made worst personnel decision since Apple Board idiots fired Steve Jobs

Actually, you can't unwind history as though it were a single thread into the past. If Jobs hadn't been let go, for whatever reason, he would probably not have discovered the benefits of UNIX, started NEXT, and then brought that OS back to Apple as the foundation for OSX.

We would now still be on some Apple built OS like the bad old days. At least you might be. I would still be using Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I totally disagree with this. Toshiba laptops appear to be at the low end of the spectrum in that graph and I can definitely say that I believe them to have the poorest build quality of all the major manufacturers and VERY frequently fail.

Believe what you want. A 1000 count sample size is pretty decent. My mother's HP laptop has been in for 5 repairs in 4 years, and the last repair still left it bricked. Every time I have a customer who tells me that they're buying a new laptop because their last one died, I always ask, "What kind was it?" 7 times out of 10, the response I get is, "HP." A lot of this is due to their large market share, but a lot of this is also due to the fact that HP laptops are known to overheat frequently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Believe what you want. A 1000 count sample size is pretty decent. My mother's HP laptop has been in for 5 repairs in 4 years, and the last repair still left it bricked. Every time I have a customer who tells me that they're buying a new laptop because their last one died, I always ask, "What kind was it?" 7 times out of 10, the response I get is, "HP." A lot of this is due to their large market share, but a lot of this is also due to the fact that HP laptops are known to overheat frequently.
What do you expect from the biggest computer manufacturer? No one is going to have problems with Asus, because no one owns one (very little).

Some people may have good experiences, some may have bad. I have had more repairs on my MacBook Pro than my HP, does that mean Apple makes bad products? No.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66GHz, 4-GB DDR3, 500-GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I have bad experience with HP product. Malfunction after 2 years.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What do you expect from the biggest computer manufacturer? No one is going to have problems with Asus, because no one owns one (very little).

Some people may have good experiences, some may have bad. I have had more repairs on my MacBook Pro than my HP, does that mean Apple makes bad products? No.

That is a valid point.

It's the same perception that Dell suffered when they were at the top of the heap. Now, Dell did make some crap on the low-end, but their high-end stuff was usually well made, using very good components. When something did go wrong, their Gold Warranty Support folks were extraordinary.

But people bought the low-end crap, didn't upgrade the warranty, and then were shocked when they were treated like total crap, both by the hardware and with the support.

As is usually the case with most things in life.... you get what you pay for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.