Cyberduck - any experience and/or advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - a number of months ago, I purchased an AirStash which sets up a personal Wi-Fi network and sends info from an inserted SD card to a free app on an iDevice (iPad in my case) or to an OS computer w/ another program installed - I'm using one called CyberDuck - now this seems to be an 'open source' program requesting a donation (or at a price on the App Store) - seems to be an all-purpose app to connect to servers for various file transfers (i.e. not only photos as in my situation but FTPs, et al).

SO, I've not made a donation at this point - what else might this program help me to accomplish? Any users out there using CyberDuck? Thanks for comments - Dave :)

611EIavd8JL._SL1500_.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have used CyberDuck often to connect to FTP servers and upload websites

Its a great little app

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I use it here to upload stuff over FTP to my website. It does the job - it's simple, easy and free (the donation nags go away but return with updates). I'm curious - how is it connecting to CyberDuck?

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use it here to upload stuff over FTP to my website. It does the job - it's simple, easy and free (the donation nags go away but return with updates). I'm curious - how is it connecting to CyberDuck?

Thanks all for the comments - AirStash sets up a personal Wi-Fi network, then I simply go to the list of available wireless networks and select the one established by the device - open up CyberDuck (first pic attached) which detects the AirStash via WebDAV (HTTP) - double click on it and the next window opens (second pic right) which shows the files of the SD card - the DCIM is my 'active' camera folder and the images can be viewed and/or transferred; of course, other types of files on the SD card could be handle similarly.

So, the only purpose I've used CyberDuck for at the moment - use to do a lot of FTPing when working (transferring large teaching image files) but no longer needed - just was curious what others may have been using it for? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 10.12.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 10.12.36 AM.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can use Finder for this since WebDAV is fully supported by OS X (at least read support). In Finder, go to Go > Connect to Server and put in that URL you see above the date in the connection window. Thought I'd point that out in case that's of interest.

It's great for a lot of things and nice if you use something like Google storage, Rackspace or Amazon's S3.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can use Finder for this since WebDAV is fully supported by OS X (at least read support). In Finder, go to Go > Connect to Server and put in that URL you see above the date in the connection window. Thought I'd point that out in case that's of interest.

It's great for a lot of things and nice if you use something like Google storage, Rackspace or Amazon's S3.

Hi Vansmith - well, I now recall your suggestion above about Finder - I scanned the manual rather quickly but other options were mentioned - will need to read more thoroughly.

I've not explored any of these other sites or uses - thanks. Dave :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I only suggested it because I like to use the built in option if I can. Since Finder probably does what you want, it might be worth a look.

If you don't know what those other options are, you probably don't need them. They're the type of resources that you actively seek out specifically. So, it's not like Dropbox which is more general - those are much more specific options for what they do and odds are, you've chosen them consciously.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I only suggested it because I like to use the built in option if I can. Since Finder probably does what you want, it might be worth a look.

If you don't know what those other options are, you probably don't need them. They're the type of resources that you actively seek out specifically. So, it's not like Dropbox which is more general - those are much more specific options for what they do and odds are, you've chosen them consciously.

Well, I just gave Finder a try using the URL and the DCIM folder opened fine but then the AirStash seem to just turn off - I'll need to check the documentation for the device - still works fine w/ the CyberDuck app.

You're right about the other options - in retirement, I seem to need a LOT less computing needs which is fine w/ me! :) Dave

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I just gave Finder a try using the URL and the DCIM folder opened fine but then the AirStash seem to just turn off - I'll need to check the documentation for the device - still works fine w/ the CyberDuck app.
Weird. I'm not sure why Finder would just lose the connection like that.

You're right about the other options - in retirement, I seem to need a LOT less computing needs which is fine w/ me! :) Dave
Well, that's no fun. Let me tell you about all the little things you should configure on your machine... :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.