Is password good at startup?

Reaction score
Sorry to ask something so brain dead but am trying to rip off my sister's knickers - they're killing me and get her my Powerbook G4 sensible. Do not know anything about macs.

So should it ask for the password when it starts up, is this good for security?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Sorry to ask something so brain dead but am trying to rip off my sister's knickers - they're killing me

Ummm Where TF are you going with this part of the post ??

and get her my Powerbook G4 sensible. Do not know anything about macs.

So should it ask for the password when it starts up, is this good for security?

Password on start up is a good security option if you are not the only person in the vicinity of your Mac ......
I personally DONT use it on wake, or start up as i am the only person living in the dwelling and there is no chance of it being stolen ......
If you want to enable it goto System Preferences~ Security and check this box then when you want it to activate

20101225-8fbemyne4k4h7wq4i348xqu8e6.jpg

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks. Sorry, the bit about my sister's knickers was a foolish attempt at levity - I let my sister down and I let myself down.:)

What happened was I put in a password so that my sister's PowerBook G4 would ask for one when new software was installed - previously you just pressed <return>, there was no password.

I am used to a non-mac system where you usually have to have two passwords for most things, even mounting anything. This is meant to provide security when you are on the internet.

If it makes no difference for it to ask for your password when it starts, unless other people have physical access to the computer, then there is no point in making it ask for it - I thought it would provide additional security when connected to the internet. If no internet greater security then it is pointless??

Reaction score
So basically you made her login account have a password? This does help as it keeps apps from automatically installing without her knowing it. So yes, it does provide some security.

What system do you use that requires two logins?

OP
L
Reaction score
So basically you made her login account have a password? This does help as it keeps apps from automatically installing without her knowing it. So yes, it does provide some security.

What system do you use that requires two logins?
Great thanks. No I don't think that's quite it.

When new software was to be installed it asked for a password. But there was no password so you just pressed <return>.

I'm supposed to know about computers, so thought this was a bit dodgy and put in a definite password, say PasSWd14 or whatever.

It now requires this password to install new software.

What I want to know is: Should this password have to be entered when the computer starts up. Should that be set up. When it starts should it ask for username and password type thing.

Only my sister has physical access to the computer. But I thought that the password bit provided more security on the internet????

(Use Linux Debian Lenny 5 type thing but an internet security hardening program has made it reluctant to do anything with user and superuser passwords.)

Reaction score
Well considering Mac is UNIX based I assume that it is the same. In fact, of all the builds I have used (RedHat, Mandrake and Ubuntu to name a few) it sort of is the same minus the ability to su root (like Ubuntu).

Mac is no different. If there is one user account setup she can have it set to automatically login. Yet that same password is used to also install apps. She had it blank and you set it (smart thing to do) but the login bit is handled a bit differently. If you go to System Preferences and then select Security under the General area you can tell Mac to make all users login. There is no need for this if this is only her laptop which is why you can disable it.

OP
L
Reaction score
She had it blank and you set it (smart thing to do) but the login bit is handled a bit differently. If you go to System Preferences and then select Security under the General area you can tell Mac to make all users login. There is no need for this if this is only her laptop which is why you can disable it.
There is no need for this if this is only her laptop which is why you can disable it.
So I'll just leave it alone then, no need to insist on it asking for a login password. Thanks that answers the question.:D

C

chas_m

The requirement of an administrative password to install software is a HUGE part of why Macs don't get viruses.

If your sister (or her knickers) are the only people to have physical access to the machine, then yes you can "bypass" the login screen at startup -- this has nothing to do with internet security so it's perfectly fine.

Cheers and happy diwali -- or whatever you celebrate!

OP
L
Reaction score
The requirement of an administrative password to install software is a HUGE part of why Macs don't get viruses.

If your sister (or her knickers) are the only people to have physical access to the machine, then yes you can "bypass" the login screen at startup -- this has nothing to do with internet security so it's perfectly fine.

Cheers and happy diwali -- or whatever you celebrate!
Thanks, the forum has answered the question. So that's amazing it is all you can ask.:)

If only one person has physical access to the computer there is no point in it asking for a login password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.