• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iWork, iLife Suites to Go Free With iOS 7 Launch. . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Looks like Apple could be bringing the iLife iOS Suite to iOS 7 for free.

iWork, iLife Suites to Go Free With iOS 7 Launch.

Apple would have to make apps like Pages, Keynote and Numbers free on the Mac if it expects users to seamlessly transfer documents between their Apple product, especially with their launch of iWork for iCloud Web Apps.

Now i see the MicroSoft Customer base going down, down, down now. Its a smart move, having iCloud for Pages, Numbers and Keynotes in the cloud, but would have to not MAKE people buy Apps to be able to use the cloud.
I have used Keynote and Numbers in iCloud, but dont have them on my Mac or iDevice so what do i do ??? Lets hope. Just in short, iCloud Beta works well and thats all i can say ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ain't gonna happen! The very next statement that Apple would have to release Pages, Keynote, and Numbers for free on the Mac platform if they do so for iOS 7, kills that rumor in the bud. ;P

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ain't gonna happen! The very next statement that Apple would have to release Pages, Keynote, and Numbers for free on the Mac platform if they do so for iOS 7, kills that rumor in the bud. ;P

Im not so sure about that Charlie.
If you have the free iOS Suite on your iPad, (and i prefer Pages on iPad, feel a lot easier to navigate and do things like graphs) then it goes to the iCloud, you can then go to your Mac and open iCloud up and now you have Pages, Number or Keynote at your finger tips. No need to buy the real deal for the Mac.
Still if you prefer you can BUT there isnt a NEED IMHO ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hope your right Brent, but I'll believe it when I see it. ;)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope your right Brent, but I'll believe it when I see it. ;)

Yea we will see. Im going to hold off on the iOS Numbers & Keynote, but will buy Keynote for Mac, because its a great price, but there will be times that i wont be connected to WiFi and will need to use it offline.
Only another 6-8 weeks and we will know :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got MS Office 2011 so I'm not interested in the iWork apps for the Mac right now. But if MS keeps messing around with the subscription version of Office and decides that's what the next version for the Mac will be, I'll switch. MS has already disappointed the many folks who use iOS by not releasing a version of Office for iOS. All they have available is Office 365 which is subscription only. Blah!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
We know that iWork apps are on iCloud will be free. I can see them going free on iOS. But I suspect we'll then see more feature rich, paid for, desktop versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think that's exactly what it will be, a "Lite" version that will be free for iOS, and the full, paid version for Mac OS.

Either way, I have iWorks v9 and prefer it over the newer, OBSCENELY complicated MSFT Office. I also still have Office 2003 that I use.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We know that iWork apps are on iCloud will be free. I can see them going free on iOS. But I suspect we'll then see more feature rich, paid for, desktop versions.

My thoughts exactly. Im seeing HUGE changes to the Desktop .v of iWork and that they will be more compatible with the MS suite, but still not taking anything away from iWork. To be honest, its about time they had a update to these ancient Apps anyway. I truly love working in Pages and on my iPad Mini, i find things like Graphs easier to fill out all the values than i do on my Mac.
If they do do a update, and its worthy of my $, then ill buy the whole suite i think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.