education pricing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" Macbook Pro 4GB ram 160GB HD/8GB iPod touch 1G/iPod Classic 120 GB
While researching PC laptops with my boyfriend(not for me for him) I noticed that every site wanted a school ID number to verify that you were actually a student before letting you even look at education pricing. However, on Apple's site they just ask you for the name of your school. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they ask for a student ID number or anything else of that nature when you actually order your macbook? Any response would be great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP
I recently just bought my MBP with an education discount and they didn't ask for any sort of identification.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
They do not ask for anything other than the school name, and at checkout you need to check to agree that it is an education purchase and agree to the terms. They could verify, but I am not sure how much that happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.8 ghz and Macbook Pro 13" 2.53 ghz
Apple, at least the retail stores, are pretty lenient from my experience. I've purchased three iMacs and a Macbook Pro in the past year (two iMacs were for my family) and I was able to get the education discount for all of them even though I'm only supposed to get it for one desktop and one laptop per year. All I had to show was some proof that I was a teacher (I used my California Teachers' Association card).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
They do conduct verification. If the school doesn't have a record of you as a student, they will bill you for the difference.

Besides, fraud is wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I have purchased 2 Macs online with the education discount, 1 using the 'buy a Mac get a free ipod touch' promotion. They have not asked for verification. With the economy the way it is, they'll take a sale any way they can get it.

OP
macgirl2423
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I'm not looking to fool apple I really am going to be a college this fall so I shouldn't have any problem, its just I wanted to make sure because I don't have my student ID number yet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
I have bought a few items both in-store and on line using the education discount. In-store my children have had to show their school ID's. On line you just pick the school that you or your children are attending. I don't believe that Apple has any way to verify on line education purchases.

Reaction score
I bought my MB last year through Apple Store using the education discount, and they send me an email asking for my name, university and copies of my registration and student card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I have bought a few items both in-store and on line using the education discount. In-store my children have had to show their school ID's. On line you just pick the school that you or your children are attending. I don't believe that Apple has any way to verify on line education purchases.
They do. They can demand proof from you, and they can follow up with the school's registrar. The terms of sale state that you will be billed for the difference if they find you are not actually enrolled.

You may get lucky, but like I said...fraud is wrong, and discussion of illegal activity is prohibited here.

OP
macgirl2423
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They do. They can demand proof from you, and they can follow up with the school's registrar. The terms of sale state that you will be billed for the difference if they find you are not actually enrolled.

You may get lucky, but like I said...fraud is wrong, and discussion of illegal activity is prohibited here.

Im not looking to get lucky I am a college student and I will be able to give them that info when and if they ask for it. I didn't post this as "how can I scheme apple into giving me an educational discount when Im not actually qualified" so I cant help it if other people have discussed using the discount wrongly. I just wanted to know if I had to have the info on hand when ordering it so I could find it out prior to that day. It seems to me that the checks are random because if your theory was true then all the people who responded would have had to get an email asking for verification.

Reaction score
You do not have to have the info on you, when you checkout you just need to check the box saying you agree to the terms.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you are really concerned, contact the school as you should have a student number associated with you already. It's already mid-July so you should have records associated with you.

If you can't get that, go to an Apple store and bring something to verify your enrollment such as a registration form, timetable or at the very least, a letter of acceptance/letter of welcome.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can't speak for Canada or elsewhere, but here in the Dallas - Fort Worth area of Texas, the folks at the local Apple stores do require proof for a "non profit usage" purchase, but no proof for education pricing. They only want to know which school or school district you're in. With the vastness of this area and with regard to the number of schools in any given district, it would be virtually impossible for them to check out each sale.

Makes me wonder but I guess since even high school and middle school students qualify (and they will not normally have a student number or other identity) that the policy of showing proof of student status has become rather lenient. Let's also remember that it's usually Mom or Dad who is making the purchase for the student. :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09

If you are inferring that I suggested any fraud or illegal activity by quoting me you are dead wrong and its unappreciated. I simply stated my experience in ordering from Apple Education and in store for my two school aged children.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (2009) 2.26GHz, 160GB, 2GB
Apple doesn't seem too worried about being scammed by consumers, because their OS's don't require any kind of serial key ensuring it's loaded on one computer either. It seems like 1) They have enough confidence that they'll keep selling that it doesn't matter if some somewhat small number of people scam them, 2) They're ignorant of the possibility altogether (yeah right), or 3) They really just don't care.

Reaction score
Can you tell me if this education pricing is only available in US and Canada?
In Romania, where I live, the retailer here is quite 1 step behind apple's site so I was wondering: Would this special pricing be available if I order it to Romania from the US or the Canadian site and I'm in highschool?

OP
macgirl2423
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pretty sure its only for college students or as they call it "higher education students" and I found this in the terms and conditions "Only purchases made in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia are eligible." sorry but I don't think you can

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.