• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

making video clips with an imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Duo 2.16Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 465.32Gb HDD/80Gb iPod video 5G
Hello,

Before I ask I have never used video clips or edited video or anything like that - this is all very new to me.

I go to You Tube quite a bit and have decided I would like to record my own clips and put it up there.

I know my iMac has a built in camera and microphone and I've had a 5 minute play with iMovie and so I know it's possible - my question is this:

What is the easiest way to record a 15min video clip using the imac camera and put it up on You Tube?

iMovie looks really difficult - is ther some sort of thing like photo booth that lets me record an actual video clip? The thing with iMovie is that all the play and pause buttons are greyed out.

Any tips for a complete beginner?

Thanks!
John

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
iMovie looks really difficult

No its not, its actually childs play once you start with it, you very soon grow out of it due to it being almost too simple.

Reaction score
Actually iMovie is probably the simplest program for making movies.
Basically these are the steps involved in making a youtube video:

1. Fire up iMove, choose "iSight" as the video format.
2. There's a switch near the play button that toggles import and edit modes. In the import mode, a big button appears on the viewing area: "Record with iSight".
3. Record your movie with that very button. Your camera fires up automatically.
4. Your recorded clip appears in the clips area. Go to edit mode and drag it to the timeline.
5. Go to the File menu, and choose Export. Now choose Web Streaming, and iMovie will optimize the video for web usage and save it.
6. Upload to YouTube.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Duo 2.16Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 465.32Gb HDD/80Gb iPod video 5G
Blimey! I must be thick - when I get a spare hour on my own I'm going to give it another try.

Thank you very much, Yogi (and Del and RIDE).

Reaction score
No problem. Actually, I tried hard to get that little description in under 4 steps, but try it out, it's really second nature once you get used to it. What's really annoying is the upload and processing time YouTube needs. Yawn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMAC G4 dual1.25gb RAM,160gb HD,250 external HD,ibook G4, 24"iMacIntelCore2Duo,2gb ram, macmini
Actually iMovie is probably the simplest program for making movies.
Basically these are the steps involved in making a youtube video:

1. Fire up iMove, choose "iSight" as the video format.
2. There's a switch near the play button that toggles import and edit modes. In the import mode, a big button appears on the viewing area: "Record with iSight".
3. Record your movie with that very button. Your camera fires up automatically.
4. Your recorded clip appears in the clips area. Go to edit mode and drag it to the timeline.
5. Go to the File menu, and choose Export. Now choose Web Streaming, and iMovie will optimize the video for web usage and save it.
6. Upload to YouTube.

I have an imac 24" intel and I tried to follow these directions because I wanted to do the same exact thing but when I opened imovie there was no choice of video format so I could pick isight. The only thing I found on my computer is isight updater. When I clicked on that, it said that I had to connect an isight.. I am confused. I have never done this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMAC G4 dual1.25gb RAM,160gb HD,250 external HD,ibook G4, 24"iMacIntelCore2Duo,2gb ram, macmini
Never mind. I had imovie open and not imovie HD. I got it now. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.