Billed by iTunes for AirDrop Transfer

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is an odd one, yet it gives an insight into how sophisticated the Apple accounts system is today.
I purchased an app from the App Store to trial called AirMail, my wife expressed some interest in trying it too.
It was only $1.99 but our ISP was very slow that day so I right clicked on the app in my Applications folder and found I could "Share" the app either by mail, iMessage or Airdrop. I elected to use AirDrop. We set it up on my wife's laptop and low and behold today I received an invoice from iTunes for a purchase of the app.
My question is this; who owns my wife's copy? I've looked in her Purchases and it's not there, and I appear to have only one copy of the app in my Purchases.
It was never my intention to get a free copy, just let my wife try it on one of her accounts with the assumption that she would buy it if she liked it and trash it if she didn't.
Now it seems I have made two purchases of the same app and my wife has an app she doesn't own.
Now what?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It doesn't really matter since once you buy an app from the App Store, it can be downloaded again and again for installation on all the Macs you own. Unless you're saying that the Mac your wife has is not owned by you. I would think that you both jointly own the Macs. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wonder why he was charged a 2nd time for the app when he just Airdropped it to his Wives system? That has me wondering. I have not messed with Airdrop at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree Dennis. I believe he should not have been charged for the Air Drop because he could have downloaded a second copy for free. I realize it's only a $1.99 app, but suppose he did the same thing with a more expensive app? I think Apple owes him a refund for the Air Drop copy.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I agree guys. This is interesting.

@OP I realize this is a small amount of money but it might be worth contacting Apple to see why you were charged anything. As the guys pointed out it could easily have been a more expensive app.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I wonder why he was charged a 2nd time for the app when he just Airdropped it to his Wives system? That has me wondering. I have not messed with Airdrop at all.

Yes that has me thinking too. Not that I was trying to rip off the app I just don't understand how they knew I'd done that. Anyhow my wife really likes it so we're happy to pay for it, maybe I should have just Duplicated it and copied it on to a flash card.:Mischievous:

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree guys. This is interesting.

@OP I realize this is a small amount of money but it might be worth contacting Apple to see why you were charged anything. As the guys pointed out it could easily have been a more expensive app.

Yep on principal I dont feel that I should have been charged a second time because as has been said, we do own our laptops jointly, in fact I purchased my wife's laptop in my name with my credit card in Singapore 2 years ago so I could argue that it belongs to me.

The catch is that when I clicked on the link "Report a Problem" in the iTunes invoice and login with my Apple ID and I get this message, "This feature is not currently available in your country or region. Try again later." Nice huh? :Not-Amused:

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK guys now I'm really confused. I managed to contact iTunes support by changing my country back to my home country (Australia) currently in Indonesia.

I logged into iTunes and checked my Purchase History and as stated only one purchase for the app shows up dated the 01/11/13.
Here's the thing though, the second invoice has the same order number and the same invoice number but is dated 03/11/13.

This is what I sent to iTunes Support;

On 01/11/13 I purchased an app from App Store and received an invoice for the above order number.
Yesterday I shared the app to another laptop computer I own via Air Drop. This morning I received a second invoice for the same purchase, same order number, same invoice number but dated 03/11/13.
Have I been charged twice, or is this duplication?
How could transferring an app I own via Air Drop between two computers I own initiate a second invoice?
Sorry for the wall of text.;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The only reason I can see you being charged is if you both have different AppleIDs in iTunes/MacAppStore.

If that's the case there will be a second charge. Whether the sender gets billed as 'gifting' the app or the receiver gets billed as the purchaser is another question.

But the bottom line - if you both use the same AppleID in iTunes/MacAppStore you shouldn't be charged.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.