MacBook optical drive not working, how to upgrade?

Reaction score
So I have a pretty old MacBook, a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo with 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. About a year ago, I managed to upgrade the HD myself to a 500GB, but I may have met my match here.

I'm running OS 10.5.8. A few weeks ago, Firefox started giving me a hard time, saying I needed to upgrade my browser -- but to do that I'd need to update my OS.

After doing some research, I learned that I could only upgrade to Snow Leopard. I went to the Apple Store and bought the Snow Leopard DVD.

The problem is, when I inserted the DVD, my optical drive spat it out. I did some more research. I repaired permissions multiple times. I zapped my PRAM. I did the "stick a cleaning cloth wrapped around a credit card" trick. Nothing worked. I even stuck in an old CD to test if it was the drive or the DVD. No dice.

So I am left with one option, it seems, and that is to buy an external optical drive. I suppose it could be worse. These things are pretty cheap nowadays. Will this do?
Amazon.com: AmazonBasics USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive (Black): Computers & Accessories

My only qualm is, I hate buying new things, and if I can avoid it, I certainly will.

I have a PC whose optical drive works.
I also have a brand new 2TB external drive.
And I have access to a black MacBook whose screen died, but other parts presumably work ok.

Can I use these to get around buying a new drive?

Can I use the PC's optical drive to boot my MacBook or create a book disk on the external drive?

I could cannibalize the other MacBook for a new drive, but I think that would risk harming my MacBook. I'm not 100% sure if the other MacBook's optical drive even works.

What do you think? Is there a better way to solve this issue than "buy something"?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you think? Is there a better way to solve this issue than "buy something"?

Well, an external optical drive is the easiest way to go and is not expensive, but yes, you can copy your Snow Leopard DVD to a flash drive and install that way. Of course that means you'll need access to another computer with a working optical drive.

Follow the instructions given here.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks! yes, it seems like buying an optical drive is the best option unless...

you'll need access to another computer with a working optical drive.

When you say "another computer" here, you mean another mac, correct? I can't do it from a PC, can I?

I really don't want to buy an optical drive though. Do you think if I went into an Apple Store with a USB Flash Drive and my DVD of Snow Leopard they'd let me create a boot disk?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you say "another computer" here, you mean another mac, correct? I can't do it from a PC, can I?

Did you go to the link I provided in my first reply? Those instructions are for creating the bootable flash drive on a Mac. Maybe someone at an Apple store will do it for you if you don't have another Mac. Give it a try.

Reaction score
Help! Replacement H/D Advice?

Hi AACHANG,
I also own a (black) MacBook with the same or very similar spec to yours. However, I'm having serious problems with my hard-drive. Unfortunately, I'm not savvy when it comes to Apple Mac computers. I need to buy a new replacement hard-drive and could do with a bit of guidance as to which one to invest in - can you assist at all please? If so, can you tell me, what make and spec is your replacement hard-drive? Do you know what the maximum capacity is for the macBook? I understand the SSD type of Drive is the best and quickest so I'd like to opt for that.
This is my only computer and I use it every day. I'm also just starting a home-study course and I have deadlines so I really do need to get this sorted asap! Any advice and / or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance,
Bravenger.

Reaction score
Hi again AACHANG,
Thanks for your reply, however, I was actually asking for some advice and guidance for replacing my Hard-Drive not my DVD Drive.
As I mentioned, I'm not well up on MacBooks and I don't have a lot of time to go trawling around the forums and various other sites... So I thought I'd simply ask someone who has done what I am intending to do.
Are you able to advise me, please? I would like to know how big a drive I can install in my MacBook? Where did you buy your 500Gb Drive? Is yours SSD? And if you installed it yourself, was it fairly straightforward or somewhat tricky?! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Bravenger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.