I lost my Downloads folder, also iCal

Reaction score
I accidentally dragged my Downloads folder from my sidebar/dock and it disappeared. This is what happened to my iCal, also. I'm a first time mac user btw. How do I put these items back into my sidebar/dock where I can see them (for keeps) every time I turn the computer on?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you drag them from the DOCK or from your Finder menu? It makes a difference on how to get them back. You said "sidebar/dock". Is it because your DOCK is on the side of your screen and not on the bottom?

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just drag them from your Applications folder to either the sidebar or dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Just remember, when dragging items to the Dock, applications go on the left, folders on the right. If you attempt to violate that protocol, the Dock will refuse to accept the icon. There's a dashed white line, sort of like a lane marker on the street, that divides right from left. I have far more items to the left side. Open windows of applications, whether their icons on in the Dock or not, will appear on the right side, so if I've got lots of things open, the numbers start to balance out.

OP
K
Reaction score
I dragged them from the dock. Thanks, now I got iCal back in the dock, left/upper side. But where is my Downloads folder? While looking for it I accidentally added a second Safari icon to the dock! How do I get rid of it - I tried dragging it off the dock but it still stays in the dock.

Yes, I moved my dock to the left side of my screen - it was in the way when I was working on my Comic Life Deluxe documents.

EDIT - I found my Downloads folder - it was in Finder (that blue smilely face icon on my dock), and I dragged it to the right/lower side of my dock.

EDIT 2 - I created a special folder called "downloads" on my mac's desktop, opened my downloads folder, and tried to drag stuff into my downloads folder, but this didn't work - the file wouldn't move from my downloads folder. How do I drag them to my special folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To remove: control-click and select Remove from Dock
But, it should disappear when you drag it off the Dock.
You should also be able to move things out of your Downloads folder.

I'd say your com.apple.finder.plist file and/or your com.apple.dock.plist file is messed up. At least, it's worth a try to replace them. Do this, one at a time:

Drag the file to your Desktop, then Restart. That will create a new file, and it should be "clean" - set to defaults.

You'll find the files in your Home folder > Library > Preferences

OP
K
Reaction score
I'd say your com.apple.finder.plist file and/or your com.apple.dock.plist file is messed up. At least, it's worth a try to replace them. Do this, one at a time:

Drag the file to your Desktop, then Restart. That will create a new file, and it should be "clean" - set to defaults.

You'll find the files in your Home folder > Library > Preferences

Ok - I did this, and now my dock is back at the bottom of the screen. I don't want it to get in the way when I'm working on my Comic Life Deluxe documents - help?

Now I don't have, or I can't find my downloads folder on the dock - it's not there - help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Ok... put those files back.... restart, now...
Open finder window, go to HD/Applications.... and drag it to the right side of the dock, just on the left of the trash.
Next, if your iCal is gone, drag that from the applications in the finder window to the left side of the dock, and any other application you want in the dock.
After that, go to dock preferences which you will get to by clicking the apple, Dock>Dock preferences.
You should be set to go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok - I did this, and now my dock is back at the bottom of the screen. I don't want it to get in the way when I'm working on my Comic Life Deluxe documents - help?

Now I don't have, or I can't find my downloads folder on the dock - it's not there - help?

Yes, that first change was to be expected. It reset everything to defaults. The Dock comes loaded at the bottom. You changed it. If you like everything else, just change it again in System Preferences > Dock

I would have expected a Downloads folder to be in the default settings. But, to put one there, just navigate to it in your Home folder and drag the Downloads icon to the bottom part of your Dock (which is now on the side after you checked that again).

By the way, where are you located? If you're on the other side of the world from the U.S., most of the members here are sleeping when you're posting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Can't you just make an Alias of the ~/Downloads folder on your Desktop? Control+click and then click "create alias" and drage the alias to your desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.