Active X

Reaction score
I am building a website for a company using iWeb. When my client views it, it throws off his active x content security alerts when viewed with Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP w/ service pack 2.

This company's site visitors are likely to have the same moronic Microsoft software, same moronic Microsoft OS. Since I can't tell them all to shut their active X security alerts off before they pull up the site, what for the love of Ron Paul should I do?

Should I hack into the code and rip the active X out of the HTMLs (if that is even possible)? Is an active-X-free-iWeb-site just a nice idea.

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
This error happens if you embed Quicktime I think, yes? The user has to adjust their ActiveX warnings, or you have to remove the QT content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
ActiveX is a proprietary Microsoft item, so iWeb cannot and does not embed it. Per Zoolook, something else is triggering the alerts, not ActiveX in the iWeb code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
ActiveX is a proprietary Microsoft item, so iWeb cannot and does not embed it. Per Zoolook, something else is triggering the alerts, not ActiveX in the iWeb code.

Yes I was a little unclear in my post - you're absolutely right there is nothing in iWeb that generates ActiveX, but unfortunately after an update in IE6, the browser treats embedded video as an activeX component.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303631

OP
S
Reaction score
Problems with iWeb site on Windows

My client has recently contacted me with the following message:

I'm able to open the latest version you sent. The e-mail graphic still seems to be missing. I can see it during the time that my browser is warning me about the ActiveX stuff. But as soon as I allow the ActiveX and the page finishes drawing, the graphic goes away.

I am such a mac-head I have no idea what he is talking about. Can anyone help me decode this and respond to the poor fellow, I really don't know what to do for him. Also, he keeps talking about ActiveX, but there are no QT files in the HTMLS I have sent him.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My client has recently contacted me with the following message:

I'm able to open the latest version you sent. The e-mail graphic still seems to be missing. I can see it during the time that my browser is warning me about the ActiveX stuff. But as soon as I allow the ActiveX and the page finishes drawing, the graphic goes away.

I am such a mac-head I have no idea what he is talking about. Can anyone help me decode this and respond to the poor fellow, I really don't know what to do for him. Also, he keeps talking about ActiveX, but there are no QT files in the HTMLS I have sent him.

Thanks.
Direct him to this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912945

That should hopefully clear it up for him.

And just out of curiousity, why are you using iWeb to design something for a professional job?

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For asking!

Thank you for your help!

Also, I have been waiting for someone to ask a question just like the one you did!

Truth be known, I am just a graphics designer. I have always used iWeb (at least that is since it came out) so I don't know really where to start as far as a piece of pro web design software goes. I am open to suggestions, reaallly! I need help.

Keep in mind, I like iWeb cause I can design my stuff in Photoshop, and drop it in, move it around, scale it up or down just like in (flashback time!) ClarisWorks! Or shall we go even further back, HyperCard. Whoa! This does not mean I am not a learner, I am. I just am not great with all that code and numbers stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I am open to suggestions, reaallly! I need help.

Keep in mind, I like iWeb cause I can design my stuff in Photoshop, and drop it in, move it around, scale it up or down just like in (flashback time!) ClarisWorks! Or shall we go even further back, HyperCard. Whoa! This does not mean I am not a learner, I am. I just am not great with all that code and numbers stuff.
Well, industry standard would have to be Dreamweaver. You can do straight code with it, or use the WSIWYG.

If you're on a budget, check out RapidWeaver. It's very similar and has more functionality than iWeb does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.