Best setup for 2nd Monitor?

Reaction score
Have you figured out the most comfortable way to use an external monitor with your MBP? I've always used just the laptop, carrying it back and forth from home to work. But I'm thinking about using a 2nd monitor at the office. Keep all of my OSX applications on the laptop screen, and run Parallels/PC applications on the 2nd monitor.

Is there a stand that would hold the MPB monitor at the same height as the external monitor? Then use a remote keyboard and mouse?

Is there a best monitor to use so that the image from the MBP to the 2nd monitor is close in contrast/color/brightness?

What are the keys to making the 2nd monitor really effective and comfortable to work with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
There's all kinds of stands for laptops you could use. to prop it up on your desk. Then you would just need a monitor that has an adjustable stand (most aren't up-down adjustable). As far as the screen itself, you need something of fairly good quality to match to Mac's screen.

You couldn't run full screen Windows on one screen and OS X on the other, but you can use Unity mode (Fusion) or Coherence (Parallels) to essentially run your Windows apps on top of OS X and then just move you application windows to wherever you like on the screens.

I use Apple's wireless keyboard and mouse and love them. The best part is they're bluetooth so there's no need for a USB wireless adapter. If you won't really miss a number pad, you could get the new wireless keyboard that's small and thin enough to toss in your bag with the Mighty Mouse and take between work and home with you. That way you can get a monitor for home too and basically have a desktop-like setup at both places with the same laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Fleurya, not sure where you're getting the notion that you can't run Windows full screen via Parallels or Fusion. I just drag Parallels over to my external monitor and hit the Full Screen button and it works like a charm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz MBP, iPhone 3GS, iPods and other nifty gadgets
If you're still interested in using the MBP keyboard, I've found the targus stand to work great. screens are almost level, and adjusted via display pref.s, image/color quality from my dell 20.1" is very close after calibration through leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fleurya, not sure where you're getting the notion that you can't run Windows full screen via Parallels or Fusion. I just drag Parallels over to my external monitor and hit the Full Screen button and it works like a charm.

Oh really? I read somewhere a while back it wouldn't work. I just assumed the source had tried it and never gave it a go myself. Thanks for the correction. I never use dual monitors, I just flip between Spaces.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks all for the responses - exactly what I was looking for. 1st hand experience with what does and doesn't work.

Regarding the wireless keyboard and mouse, a couple years ago I bought a Bluetooth mouse (MacAlly?). The thing I didn't like about it was the delay to "hook back up" after it sat idle. I find with a wired mouse, no matter how long it just sits there, when I grab it I get immediate response from the cursor.

Do you think I'd be any happier with the Apple product? And how does it do on battery life?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You won't have that delay problem with Apple's wireless keyboard and mouse. At least I've never noticed any delay when it's been idle, or the delay is so small it's not really noticeable to me. The only time it's noticeable is when I take my laptop and use it without the keyboard/mouse and the come back to my home and start to use them again.

Battery life is pretty good, but it also depends on the kind of batteries you get. I'd say maybe 2 months on standard Energizer in the mouse. I can't even estimate the keyboard because they seem to last forever!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.