Can Macbook Pro charger break from overheating?

Reaction score
I didnt realize it but i accidentally left my macbook pro charger entangled in my comforter as i charged/used my computer for an hour, and my charger randomly stopped charging. i reached to examine the charger and it was so hot i could actually smell the fabric almost burning. is it possible that my charger completely broke because it became so hot?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're lucky you didn't set yourself on fire. You bet the charger will become super hot when you wrap it up in a bed comforter! Don't use that MagSafe Charger any more. Buy a new one since that one will likely fail and may cause damage to your Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
You're lucky you didn't set yourself on fire. You bet the charger will become super hot when you wrap it up in a bed comforter! Don't use that MagSafe Charger any more. Buy a new one since that one will likely fail and may cause damage to your Mac.

Right i mean i understand why it became so hot, but is it likely that it randomly stopped working because of this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Right i mean i understand why it became so hot, but is it likely that it randomly stopped working because of this?

Heat is the enemy of most electrical & electronic equipment.

All you have to do is put 2 + 2 together:

- The charger worked fine before being entangled in the comforter.
- It over-heated and you could smell that the fabric was almost burning.
- The charger no longer worked after extracting it from the comforter.

I think that we have a "cause & effect" situation here.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.