i've accidentally spited water into the Aluminium Keyboard

Reaction score
Before I start let me everyone a Happy Easter to all the forum community and staff. Now my problem. Yesterday I've used Alchool to clean my keyboard with cutton (I've done it almost a 100 times without a problem). After 10 minutes I cleaned my keyboard the 8 key stopped working and 30 minutes later when I pressed the A C and Y key on my keyboard I get something like this (AH when I only press A, the Y key doesn't work, as well as the W key). Is there anyway I can repair my keyboard it was only alchool nothing else and it did not entered a lot into the keys. Is there any chance I can get my keyboard working again? I love that keyboard and I dont wanna loose it!.

Thank You

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Is there anyway I can repair my keyboard it was only alchool nothing else and it did not entered a lot into the keys. Is there any chance I can get my keyboard working again? I love that keyboard and I dont wanna loose it!.

Thank You

I think it has entered enough for it to be a problem to you. Water+Electrics=Death im sorry to say.
If from the get go you switched everything off and then proceeded to dry it out then you might have got away with it.
Here is a great Wireless Keyboard Teardown don by ifixit Apple Wireless Keyboard (A1255) Teardown - iFixit.
Tear down the keyboard and get a hair dryer out to get every little bit of moisture left there. If you dont you WILL have problems further down the track, not saying you wont already have them, but this is the best solution ATM.

HTH

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!. I think I will leave it drying for a few days. I mean a messy keyboard is better than a non-working one. So I read a few articles online and they all said to leave to dry for a few days.;D

OP
M
Reaction score
Too late :( It's dead. The caps lock light doesnt light up anymore. I feel so stupid right now!! :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

OP
M
Reaction score
This is unbelievable but after 6 hours drying it came to life again, but not every key like w,s,x and p,ç,(,) don't work I think it needs to dry more?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there anyway I can get then to work? This is really annoying!!!!:Shouting:

Remember this earlier post...;)

Too late :( It's dead. The caps lock light doesnt light up anymore. I feel so stupid right now!! :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

If it's not working it's not working. There is no magic fix. Those aluminum keyboards cannot even be disassembled to inspect things...without destroying it.

For future reference...alcohol is really not a very good/safe product to clean computer equipment with. Alcohol solublizes (melts/dissolves) MANY materials used in computers.

You were lucky using alcohol up to this point cleaning the keys on your keyboard...since the rubber-like material that the keys are covered with is not effected by alcohol (same with the aluminum the keyboard is made from).

Getting alcohol below the keys (into the innards of the keyboard)...probably reacted unfavorably with something...thus the inoperable keys. Next time just use a damp paper towel to clean the keys (or a damp paper towel + a very small amount of liquid dish soap).

- Nick

p.s. Actually...rubber + alcohol really doesn't mix either. Since over time...alcohol will dry out rubber...and eventually make it brittle...and then it will start to crack & crumble.

OP
M
Reaction score
Remember this earlier post...;)

If it's not working it's not working. There is no magic fix. Those aluminum keyboards cannot even be disassembled to inspect things...without destroying it.

For future reference...alcohol is really not a very good/safe product to clean computer equipment with. Alcohol solublizes (melts/dissolves) MANY materials used in computers.

You were lucky using alcohol up to this point cleaning the keys on your keyboard...since the rubber-like material that the keys are covered with is not effected by alcohol (same with the aluminum the keyboard is made from).

Getting alcohol below the keys (into the innards of the keyboard)...probably reacted unfavorably with something...thus the inoperable keys. Next time just use a damp paper towel to clean the keys (or a damp paper towel + a very small amount of liquid dish soap).

- Nick

p.s. Actually...rubber + alcohol really doesn't mix either. Since over time...alcohol will dry out rubber...and eventually make it brittle...and then it will start to crack & crumble.

So there's no fix ??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So there's no fix ??

Wasn't the answer clear in my earlier post??? I guess I must have wasted my time providing you with such a long and detailed reply!:(

But if you want the "short-version"...Didn't I actually already say this (above)??:

There is no magic fix.

So to be 100% clear...No..there is no fix!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.