How to backup Mail and Contacts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Hi:)

I want to do a regular backup of my Mail which will include all my mail folders and any emails in those folders. How can this be done?

I also want to backup my Address Book contacts, how is this done?

Please give me step-by-step guide as I'm still learning where everything is on my iMac.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 20-inch, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, Leopard, 20" Dell Widescreen.
The only way that I've found is to use time machine with my external hard drive.

Reaction score
Mail - all you should have to do is copy the ~/Library/Mail folder (the ~ is your home directory). You will also have to save the ~/Library/Preferences com.apple.mail.plist file. When you go to restore, just copy the Mail folder back to the ~/Library directory and place the plist file in ~/Library/Preferences.

For Address book - From the Address Book app, select File, then Export, then Address Book Archive. When prompted, tell it the name and path to save the file.

For more info - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301239 tells you how to back-up all your important "stuff"

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Thank you, that's great info:Evil:

Mail - all you should have to do is copy the ~/Library/Mail folder (the ~ is your home directory). You will also have to save the ~/Library/Preferences com.apple.mail.plist file. When you go to restore, just copy the Mail folder back to the ~/Library directory and place the plist file in ~/Library/Preferences.

For Address book - From the Address Book app, select File, then Export, then Address Book Archive. When prompted, tell it the name and path to save the file.

For more info - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301239 tells you how to back-up all your important "stuff"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
If you're using IMAP mail accounts the mail is kept on the mail server so you should not have to back it up at all.

You an also use a product called Mozy. It will back up Address Book and more onto their encrypted servers. They give you 2GB of space for free. Here's a little guide to get you started with Mozy: http://applemachq.com/2008/02/14/making-mac-backups-easy-with-mozy/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.